B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 ECM Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Default Audi A4 ECM Help Please

Sorry for the newb questions this is my first Audi experience lol I'm a ASE master tech at a Lincoln dealer and my friend has the Audi (1999 Audi A4 1.8t manual) she called me crying because they wanted to charge her almost $900 to replace the ECU.

I picked up an ECM today and they said if it’s an AEB engine (pn# 8D0 907 557 P) that an ECM from an auto or stick would work but if it’s another type (can't remember what the name was) it will need one that is for a stick only. What’s the difference between the two and what’s the easiest way I can have her check? I got the 1st eight of the VIN "WAUCB280" but none of the VIN decoders I found will give the engine code for an Audi that was for sale in the US

Now this shop is saying it will have to be programmed to the vehicle and they don’t know how long it will take. Now I've flashed the ROM in ECUs for software updates and such and it’s only about a 10-15 min process. Does it sound like they are just trying to milk her for money? Her discretion of the problem was that it "went electrical crazy" lol yah not much help.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:15 PM
3rd Gear

if its a 99 1.8t its as AEB engine. but you have to look at the part number on the ECU itself. an auto ECU will work on a manual car but you need to change a bunch on the software level. its much easier to just go into the classified section on here or try vwvortex.com or audizine.com and look for used ECU's with the same part number. there are a few different ECU's for various years even with the same AEB engine so make sure you match the part number off the one that is in there. used ECU's go for $100-200 and take 2 minuits to install. if you find one with a 'chip' upgrade it gives the car a free extra 50hp and 50tq.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:36 PM

Thanks I got one that had the same part number and gave to her. Going to call her later today and see if it helped. Acualy got her to discribe what the cars been doing the last couple weeks. She said the windows wont row down, the radio dont work, the four ways come on randomly, the door chime will start going off as shes driving, and the alarm goes off randomly.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:26 PM
3rd Gear

the ECU more or less controls the engine and transmission. there are other control modules for the interior climate controls and alarm, signals, etc.

a broken door switch would explain the door chime and alarm going off. the radio has a 5A fuse in the back of it that likes to burn out. the windows could be a bad switch or fuse for the window relays.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:05 AM

Yah I was thinking it sounded more like a BCM problem but not sure if these cars had a BCM. She said all this started happening the same day so she either has incredibly bad luck for mutable things to fail at once or its some central processor or common ground. Lol really be helpful if I had the car to check out instead of trying to guess if this shop has a clue.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

My windows won't roll down, and my central locking button isn't working from the inside. Central locking pump is also runnign when i turn off the ignition.. and it does another couple of quirks intermittently.
I got a short circuit on my tailgate lock switch it said, but don't know how to check the problem out..
Anyone knows where the electrical windows fuse is?

There's alot of controllers in this car, she should get the codes pulled with vagcom to make sure it's the ECU.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

the engine code is in the trunk where the spare tire is

Old 05-11-2009, 02:57 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Veegard
My windows won't roll down, and my central locking button isn't working from the inside. Central locking pump is also runnign when i turn off the ignition.. and it does another couple of quirks intermittently.
I got a short circuit on my tailgate lock switch it said, but don't know how to check the problem out..
Anyone knows where the electrical windows fuse is?

There's alot of controllers in this car, she should get the codes pulled with vagcom to make sure it's the ECU.
its not the ECU. the central locking system has a leak somewhere among other problems.