B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 V6 1996 - need help with a few issues please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Default Audi A4 V6 1996 - need help with a few issues please!

Hey guys,

So this isnt my first Audi but its my first A4. I just bought it as a bargain runabout (Its a 130k miles 5 owner car) and the car is mint for the DOM, but there are a few minor issues on it that need sorting!!

I have listed them here with what I think the solution or problem may be but would be grateful for some advice

* vague steering at speed, in fact the suspension feels a bit 'wallowy' but Im not sure if this is due to the vague steering! It feels solid as a rock when cornering hard on roundabouts etc, its speed that gives the vagueness.

Was thinking to replace the track rod ends Is there anything else thats a weak point to look at? (control arms?)

*When depressing the clutch, there is a quiet (but noticeable) whooshing noise, not a squeal exactly but more like a bearing running rough.... If I depress the clutch to the bottom, it stays the same, but when the car is in gear I cant hear any noise, likewise at idle and when I let the clutch up again there is silence..The clutch doesnt slip at all.

Im thinking the clutch release bearing is at fault and needs replacing?!

I know I will have to replace the clutch if thats the case and that sounds like a PITA 9 hour job from a bit of research on here!!

Bad idle on startup - Unless I blip the throttle on startup the car stalls, once Ive blipped the pedal a couple of times its fine but the idle is a little lumpy IMO but Im not sure how the V6 should idle as stock?
It sounds like the ICV to me, hopefully a thorough soak and clean in IPA will sort it...?

Also, the airbag light occasionally flashes on after startup, then goes out of its own accord??!! any ideas please?

thanks for any and all help

Last edited by theanalyst; 06-24-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:25 PM

Im not sure if I wrote this wrong and thats whay no ones has replied?!!
but I will summarise it in the hope I get some help!!

Problems are

Vague steering and 'uncertainty' around corners, wallowing almost!

WHen the clutch is depressed I get a whirring noise, as soon as the foot is lifted all is quiet again

and

poor idle on startup - the car stalls if I dont give it accelerator for a few seconds..

Please can anyone advise what I may be looking at with these problems?

thanks again

Old 06-24-2010, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

Don't worry experienced people will chime in soon.

Steering, I'm not 100% on that one. The front end is definitely a weak spot on these cars, and why they sell control arm kits as everything wears out; lower, upper control arms, stablizer links and tie rod ends. I'd first do the standard check by jacking up the front of the car and check for play.

Clutch, honestly, I'm bad at diagnosing clutch/tranny problems. I pretty much don't figure it out till I take it apart. Hopefully someone else can advise.

For the idle, I have had that exact problem. On my old 97 V6 it turned out to be the catalytic converters. Both were plugged. Obviously I'd do as you suggest and first check the ICV and also clean out the TB. I ended up getting universal cats as OEM was insane.

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2010, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by theflash
Don't worry experienced people will chime in soon.

Steering, I'm not 100% on that one. The front end is definitely a weak spot on these cars, and why they sell control arm kits as everything wears out; lower, upper control arms, stablizer links and tie rod ends. I'd first do the standard check by jacking up the front of the car and check for play.

Clutch, honestly, I'm bad at diagnosing clutch/tranny problems. I pretty much don't figure it out till I take it apart. Hopefully someone else can advise.

For the idle, I have had that exact problem. On my old 97 V6 it turned out to be the catalytic converters. Both were plugged. Obviously I'd do as you suggest and first check the ICV and also clean out the TB. I ended up getting universal cats as OEM was insane.

Good luck!
thanks Flash

I stumbled across the control arm kits after searching on here so am going to do like you say and check for play and if there is 'general' wear I will buy a kit and replace all of the parts.
I wonder how long it will take! Im guessing a full day IF I can free up rusted bolts and get the exhausts off cleanly!

Airbag light - no idea on this one!! Will vagcom bring up the stored fault(s)?

Last edited by theanalyst; 06-27-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:59 AM

bit of an update and a few questions if anyone can help me it would be appreciated.

Clutch noise is only when then pedal is depressed, its like a a whooshing noise and goes when you release the clutch. Im hoping this is the thrust bearing? Can anyone offer any info here please?

Warning lights, when the car keys are in the ignition on position, the big dash warning lights flash, all except the fuel one I think. THey all disappear when the car is started.... Is this normal??!!

Have discovered one of the tie rods is knackered and thats why the steering was vague I think... going to replace it later this week

thanks