B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi noob requesting purchase help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi noob requesting purchase help

Ok, complete newbie to Audis here. I'm actually helping my son out looking for his first car, and we found a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8l 5Spd with 214K Miles

If we decide to make an offer we'll definitely have it looked over by a mechanic, but we drove it today, and it seems to be in excellent shape. Drove very well, seemed very tight. A couple of minor things in the interior, but nothing bad for the asking price.

Can someone point me to a buyers guide, or give me some hints at what to look for that might need to be worked on? We were told it had the timing belt replaced at 160K along with the valve cover gaskets. The only thing that's a red flag to me right now is that at 214K it supposedly has the original clutch (!). The clutch gripped and operated just fine, but still.... how much is a clutch replacement and/or can a DIYer do it himself? (I've done a couple clutches before but don't know how the Audi is laid out).

Any info you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

It's about due for another timing belt.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

timing belts are due every 75,000 miles... i just did mine... im at 145,000 miles now... the clutch to my understanding is not that complex at all... my clutch needs replacement because the previous owner did not know how to drive manual... just have your mechanic check for leaks... the 2.8's are sometimes known for rack and pinion seal leaks, wheel bearings, control arms, tie rod ends (basicly suspension components) and also ask about how much life the brakes have... oh and one more thing... these cars also have bad front axles so check those too... good luck

Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by the-other-geoff
Ok, complete newbie to Audis here. I'm actually helping my son out looking for his first car, and we found a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8l 5Spd with 214K Miles

If we decide to make an offer we'll definitely have it looked over by a mechanic, but we drove it today, and it seems to be in excellent shape. Drove very well, seemed very tight. A couple of minor things in the interior, but nothing bad for the asking price.

Can someone point me to a buyers guide, or give me some hints at what to look for that might need to be worked on? We were told it had the timing belt replaced at 160K along with the valve cover gaskets. The only thing that's a red flag to me right now is that at 214K it supposedly has the original clutch (!). The clutch gripped and operated just fine, but still.... how much is a clutch replacement and/or can a DIYer do it himself? (I've done a couple clutches before but don't know how the Audi is laid out).

Any info you can give will be greatly appreciated!
i too was in the same boat with the clutch issue. I have done clutches before, but never on a longitudinal setup. I got a couple quotes from various shops and that ranged from 850-1100 if i supplied the part.
I decided to do it myself and i set apart 2 days. AllData states the time frame is 8-9 hours for labor. I took 23 hours because I took my time, needed to get a tool, and replaced a coolant flange and pcv valve while i was in there.
if you have access to a lift, it will make things a lot smoother. it can be done on jack and stands but its probably more a pain to work like that.
the hardest part and the part that took the longest was the clutch slave cylinder for me. it just wouldn't line up with the fork when installing the cylinder back.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:18 AM
2nd Gear

how much is a clutch replacement and/or can a DIYer do it himself? (I've done a couple clutches before but don't know how the Audi is laid out).
Nothing that hairy about the clutch itself, but gettting to it isn't easy on the V6. Bell housing bolts are under the firewall, behind the downpipes, etc.

I'm not saying you do these two together, but for the purposes of looking at numbers, figure a T Belt job and a clutch in the first 20K miles. If you have to pay someone to do it you're now buying a $6,000 car.

If your son has some interest, it would be a great way for a kid to learn about skinned knuckles and swearing!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Exactly what mtroxel said. And let's not pull punches here - these cars can be needy. The best way to both afford and enjoy them is to learn to work on them. What you'll spend on tools won't even equal what you'll pay in labor for half a timing job.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:59 AM
1st Gear

Both clutch jobs I've done have been RWD cars, the Subaru was pretty easy, the Nissan pickup was a pain, and I'm a "few" years older and less tolerant of getting my hands wedged between firewalls and bellhousings now...haha.

Seriously, thanks everyone for responding (and keep it coming please!) its a big help. That A4 was a really really nice car for the mileage... I can see why you all love them. My son could do a LOT worse for the money I think.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

If you've done two clutches before then this one should be easy... Just unbolt the exhaust... Remove the driveshaft ( there's also a method to partially remove it and set it aside) remove the front axles... And there's like 3 connectors to the transmission... And have a jack to support the transmission... Take the tranny mount off then lower the tranny so that it pulls downwards giving you access to the top bell housing bolts... And remove the slave cylinder of course... Once all the bell housing bolts are off straighten out the tranny... Wiggle it out... Unbolt pressure plate ... Get flywheel resurfaced... Replace rear main seal and boom... Your good!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:58 PM
1st Gear

I found tutorials on the clutch and timing belt. Pictures are good!

I'm not going to say that clutch will be easy, even having done a couple before, but its doable and I understand the basic process. Although if I hit the lottery, I might have to spring for someone else to do it. haha

Old 04-04-2013, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

I found tutorials on the clutch and timing belt. Pictures are good!

I'm not going to say that clutch will be easy, even having done a couple before, but its doable and I understand the basic process. Although if I hit the lottery, I might have to spring for someone else to do it. haha
Good luck with your new a4 man...

Quick Reply: Audi noob requesting purchase help