B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi is pure fun...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

I could not get the %^$#@ sensor out! Remove everything out of the way, unclipped the plug, removed the metal u-pin from the rear but the little bastard would not move. Wrestled with it for an hour. I didn't want to destroy the old one inside of the fitting so I just left it and put everything back together. What a pain in the *** waste of time. Looks like when it is hot I'm just going to put the pedal to the floor if it acts up.

As for the exhaust, it is the connector pipe on the passenger side, right after the O2 sensor. The piece with 2 bolts on each end about 8" long. It is blowing by on both ends of that. Thats why I let the engine sit overnight so I could easily see some water vapor. I am thinking it need to be removed and a new piece welded in. Or a longer version of that connector.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:48 PM

you don't say that you pulled the clip for the temp sensor out. It sounds like you unclipped and unplugged the electrical connector but not the actually coolant temp sensor

Black u shaped bit
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-CO...#ht_886wt_1081

Old 07-21-2012, 06:18 PM
2nd Gear

Make sure you have the O-Ring (and a few extra), or you will wish you had. Jones is right about the black U Clip. You might wanna pick up a few extra of those too! I've found quite a few in random places. Easy to drop, hard to find.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

I got the 4-wire blue plug off easy and got the metal u-clip off easy. But the sensor itself would not budge. It must be caked up with coolant on the inside or something because I could not get it off. I tried re-attaching the plug to get more leverage, used pliers, tried hand force - nothing. It is stuck in there.

Like I mentioned I didn't want to break off the plastic top to the CTS and have to then try and get out a stumpy sensor with zero hand room. For now on hot start-ups Ill just press the gas pedal down. I usually drive it and it sits for hours for work and MTB rides. I did get an extra o-ring and new u-clip with the CTS. I'll try again someday when I feel up to swearing again.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:02 PM

Instead of trying to get the CTS out, you could get a new coolant flange and install your new CTS in the new coolant flange. Even if you did manage to get your old CTS out, it sounds like your current coolant flange could be so caked with crap that getting the new CTS/o-ring in could also be a challenge.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:42 AM
4th Gear

The coolant flange is pretty cheap, at least for the 1.8 it is... If the design is anything like the 1.8, you run the risk or much more cursing trying to get it torqued down just right so it doesn't leak... proceed with caution.

Welcome to the forums!

Old 07-22-2012, 01:59 PM
1st Gear

not sure if anyone answered but

the stubby passenger side mirror is because the rear view mirror, and the driver side mirror (left) are the same size and about same distance from the eye. So when you look at either it looks like whatever behind you is the same distance away.

Looking at the passenger mirror everything looks farther, but they are closer. IF you create a smaller object to loo into (like a stubby mirror) it will better represent the distance the object really is.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by aeeroN
not sure if anyone answered but

the stubby passenger side mirror is because the rear view mirror, and the driver side mirror (left) are the same size and about same distance from the eye. So when you look at either it looks like whatever behind you is the same distance away.

Looking at the passenger mirror everything looks farther, but they are closer. IF you create a smaller object to loo into (like a stubby mirror) it will better represent the distance the object really is.
Very cool.. Thanks for that info.