B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

AWD to RWD Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

Mike@DTH you meen to tell me that even thow the front wheels will be disconnected from the driveline along with the drive shafts that power will still be sent to the front diff? i though when you launch a quattro hard that power is sent to the rear wheels to help traction?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

does anyone have a detailed image of the quattro system that i could look at to understand this better? or a detailed discription of how everything works?

Old 09-12-2008, 02:49 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by anmagro
Mike@DTH you meen to tell me that even thow the front wheels will be disconnected from the driveline along with the drive shafts that power will still be sent to the front diff? i though when you launch a quattro hard that power is sent to the rear wheels to help traction?
Correct, the power will still be sent to the front diff and the axle flanges will still spin unless you pull those out. But the fact is that the driveline will still act like it is AWD.

No the torsen does not send all the power to the rear wheels to help traction. What it will do is send tq to the end of the car that needs it but this only happens for a split second, after that the torsen will actually send the power to the wheel that has the least resistance. This is why when any of the driveline breaks the car will not move at all, just ask anyone that has snapped a CV or axle and they will tell you that the car wont move under its own power.

torsen info

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 09-12-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Site Moderator

I got my 97 for next to nothing because the guy who was selling it thought it needed a whole new tranny. The car wouldnt move. Turns out the prop shaft was disconnected for whatever reason. Sorry... Any excuse to tell that story

Old 09-12-2008, 03:04 PM
5th Gear

lol that actually just happened to me as well. pulling out of a parking space and the front drivers side cv axle popped off. car wouldn't move and i thought i broke the tranny

Old 09-12-2008, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

Ok, well thanks for all the info guys. But here is the baseline question, and please dont just try to discourage me on a RWD converstion cause u think its stupid....

If i dyno my car with AWD and then Dyno again after a RWD converstion (taking out the diff, welding it and removing the axles) will i see ANY increase in power at ANY point in the power band considering that the engine is only turning 2 wheels on the ground instead of 4?

Note that quattro takes away roughly 21-22% of engine power compared to FWD's 9-10%.

Last edited by anmagro; 09-12-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:00 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by anmagro
Ok, well thanks for all the info guys. But here is the baseline question, and please dont just try to discourage me on a RWD converstion cause u think its stupid....

If i dyno my car with AWD and then Dyno again after a RWD converstion (taking out the diff, welding it and removing the axles) will i see ANY increase in power at ANY point in the power band considering that the engine is only turning 2 wheels on the ground instead of 4?

Note that quattro takes away roughly 21-22% of engine power compared to FWD's 9-10%.
No you will still end up putting the same amount of power to the wheels be it 4 or 2 since you are still turning the same amount of parts. Only way you would see a increase at the wheels is if you removed the whole driveline and replaced it with a RWD transmission.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:37 AM
3rd Gear

Ya they are correct the only way you could get more hp from rwd conversion is if you went with a rwd transmission. Converting the quattro to rwd could free up like 1hp just because it isnt spinning the driveshafts in front but it would still be spinning the quattro system and the front differential. Only reason to convert is for the driving style. Then again if you know what your doing you can get a B5 sideways on a wet road w/o a conversion haha.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:27 AM
1st Gear

Another option to welding the centre differential, is to install the older 016 transmission, as fitted to type 85/B2 (4000q) type 44/C3 (200/5000q).

It has a lockable central differential, and in terms of strength, a lot tougher than the 01A/012 version fitted to the B5/C5 cars.

If you intend to do full-bore standing starts with sticky rear tyres, then you'll need to play about with rear axles, as the slim ones fitted as stock won't take a beating for long. The rear differential is fine as is, I wouldn't weld it up, unless you intend to buy tyres on a regular basis.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

but dont turning the like 2 25 pound wheels take away hp? dam.

Quick Reply: AWD to RWD Conversion