B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

B5 enthusiast perspective: CPO B7 2.0T vs. new Jetta?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:31 AM
1st Gear
Default B5 enthusiast perspective: CPO B7 2.0T vs. new Jetta?

Hello... I've posted the following on the B7 forum and, surprisingly, I'm not getting any input. As a fellow current B5-owner, maybe you folks'll have opinions that'll help me out. Unfortunately, the B5's gotta go.

Ok, other than the AWD and knowing that I like to look at the B7 much more than the Jetta, why wouldn't I go for the new car Jetta v. a CPO A4 with about 30k miles and less than a year of new car warranty left on it? The sizes are pretty similar... I've got a B5 right now, and both would be a slight space upgrade. I haven't driven the Jetta yet, so that's not a factor I can weigh in yet either. Maybe that in itself is the overwhelming decider. Manual, definitely, btw. Too bad the CC just seems to miss in too many ways (esp. in manual) and the Passat is, well, a Passat.

Please help. Thanks!

Old 09-22-2009, 12:04 PM
5th Gear

cuz the new jetta looks like a chick car. but i'm confused, you were talking about a new jetta and then you talk about a passat? i'd stay with A4 though, but my opinion is biased lol

Old 09-22-2009, 12:20 PM
1st Gear

thanks ... that's exactly what I'm looking for: "biased opinion" ... Appreciate it. Opinion is biased to begin with, btw. Yeah, just brought Passat into the mix in case anyone thought I hadn't considered it. The Jetta at least isn't terrible looking. The Passat pretty much is. Opinion, of course.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
2nd Gear

i think new passats look 10x better than jettas

thats just my opinion though

PASSAT > JETTA (both 09 models)

Name:  PassatCC-0001.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  95.8 KB
Name:  PassatCC-0003.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  62.5 KB
Name:  jetta.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  31.2 KB
Name:  09VW-JettaTDI.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  28.5 KB

Old 09-22-2009, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

both jettas and passats can be vastly improved with good rim choices... the pics you posted of the passat, btw: that's a CC isn't it? CC is nice looking (not from all four sides), but you can't get the roof (which just tilts anyway) or anything beyond basic with a manual transmission and it's got those frameless doors, which I just can't do.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear

IMO they both look crappy. If not for the good AWD (not Haldex like available for the Jetta), then I wouldn't buy a VAG car to begin with, personally.

Last edited by dragonrage; 09-22-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:03 PM
4th Gear

A year from now, you'll look at the jetta as just a used car you bought new. A year from now, you'll still look back at the Audi, see those 4 rings and remember how sexy that car is. You KNOW the Audi is sexier, and simply driving one around town makes you at least 10 times cooler than in the Jetta. The Rings just demand more respect and prestege from onlookers...

Just my biased opinion...

Old 09-22-2009, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
A year from now, you'll look at the jetta as just a used car you bought new. A year from now, you'll still look back at the Audi, see those 4 rings and remember how sexy that car is. You KNOW the Audi is sexier, and simply driving one around town makes you at least 10 times cooler than in the Jetta. The Rings just demand more respect and prestege from onlookers...

Just my biased opinion...
Re: "You KNOW the Audi is sexier, and simply driving one around town makes you at least 10 times cooler than in the Jetta..." ....

From "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man" (1991):
Harley Davidson: "It's better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

I think we're getting to the bottom of things here. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 09-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Administrator

The interior of the Jetta and Audi are way different. The Audi is an entry level luxury with leather seats and almost power everything. The Jetta is meant to be economy car with some features here and there.

IMO going from A4 to Jetta is downgrading. Don't get me wrong, Jettas are nice cars but comparing the two just too easy.

Which Jetta engine are you looking at? If it's the 2.5, it will only need 87 gas which will save you some pennies.

Last edited by kriptonik; 09-22-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

In my opinion the jetta's are more an economical car and pretty big downgrade from an audi. I honestly think theres no comparing the two. Audis are a luxury car, yet very versatile, and have nice performance. Jettas are what parents buy their daughters to have a safe, reliable car. If your looking to just blend in and save some money, go with the jetta. However if you like sexy looks, amazing interiors, and like to stand out a bit go with the audi. At the end of the day its your decision so get what you think will work for you best, economy or elegance.

Quick Reply: B5 enthusiast perspective: CPO B7 2.0T vs. new Jetta?