B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Which B5 is right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM
1st Gear
Default Which B5 is right for me?

Hello everyone!

Currently am evaluating the purchase of an older Audi. I am considering picking up an older Audi B5 Avant, or an Allroad in the near future as a daily driver and parts runner, and would love some input on what to look for in these cars.

What I intend to use the car for:
-Transporting various car parts, such as blocks, heads, wheels and exhausts.
-Occasional trips to various ski areas.
-Grocery retrieval device.

With that stated, here are a few other aspects that will influence my purchase decision:
-I live at 7700' in elevation, and make frequent trips over mountain passes. (I have more powerful cars that make light work of this, but I don't want to haul parts in them)
-Fuel economy would be nice, but power is higher on the priority list.
-Looking to keep things mostly stock as the other two cars are my outlet for tinkering.
-Car must have a manual transmission. Cannot stand automatic/triptronic.

What engine type would best suite my needs? Also, what should I be aware of when shopping for one of these cars?

And here are the other cars:
1988 Toyota Celica Alltrac. (Currently building a new engine and new engine management)
Name:  DSC_0348_49_50_51_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  247.4 KB

Wife's car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Name:  HDR_3-13-11_0003.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  85.1 KB

Old 02-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Tech Guru

If I were you, I'd take a look at the noobie guide at the top of the section. Being at the elevation you're at, I'd imagine you'd probably be leaning toward the 1.8 turbo, which can be given an acceptable amount of oomph when chipped. The other option is the 2.8 v6. It's a rock solid engine that'll last you hundreds of thousands of miles but it's NA. S/C kits run around 3 grand for them brand new.

Pow: https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...ion-2-a-80968/

Old 02-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Legal Moderator

an avant will suit you nicely for hauling parts (ask the trunk moderator), and it seems like you know that.

i would shy away from the allroad simply because of the engine. unless you like working on cars with no room inside the engine bay (engine needs to be removed to replace turbos), go with a 2.8 or 1.8.

one of the huge draws for me when i was looking at cars was the fact that the audi 1.8 is a longitudinal engine. great space for working on. the 2.8 will probably be more reliable overall, but i think the 1.8 will be easier to fix once you understand what all those stupid lines are for under the hood.

the only issue i can think of with the 1.8t is of course the altitude as previously mentioned. at least with the 1.8t though you have a turbo to help overcome the high altitude. both engines will see reduced output (you could probably get away with 89 octane though), but you could chip the 1.8 and at that altitude it would probably offer more performance over the 2.8

Old 02-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

I posted on your other thread but will repost. I would say the 2.8 would be good for you. It's 50hp more than the 1.8t stock, you don't have to worry about turbo issues and also about the same mpg. Also 2.8s can be found cheaper since most people want the 1.8t to mod.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chocalotstarfish
I posted on your other thread but will repost. I would say the 2.8 would be good for you. It's 50hp more than the 1.8t stock, you don't have to worry about turbo issues and also about the same mpg. Also 2.8s can be found cheaper since most people want the 1.8t to mod.
Thank you for that! I am leaning towards the 2.8l currently. I searched through the guide and didn't get a feel for which year had the 12v and which has the 30 valve. Hell, I don't know much about these engines at all! Are the v6 engines DBC or DBW? Is there a reference guide for these engines?

Seems like a nice community here! Thank you all for the information!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

12v was in 96 and 97. 30v from 97-01
12v 172hp 181 tq. 30v 190hp 207tq.
Both are drive by cable iirc.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:39 AM
1st Gear

Nice Alltrac. I come from the Toyota background so I can appreicate it. I have owned several MR2's both MKI and MKII and a couple AE86's. Just recently have I given up on the Toyota's and moved to Audi AWD but the MKI MR2 will always be dear to my heart. The B5 is somewhat problematic and the issues seem to be a bit less straight forward then my older Toyota but that seems true with all OBD2 equipped vehicles compared to the earlier stuff.

I absolutely love my A4 which is 1.8T AWD with some tasteful mods. I like the Avant better but they are hard to come by. I have heard that the All roads are AWEFUL on gas. I think if you drive a chipped 1.8 you will be happy as they offer more hp then the V6's and respond better to mods. Hell there is guy on here that has nicely modded 1.8 with almost 300xxx miles on it still using the stock turbo and un-opened motor. I am sure you are aware he has taken great care of it though.

Comparing the B5 AWD 1.8 to an all trac is not a very fair comparison though. The Audi suspension seems to lack precision compared to that generation of Toyota vehicles. I am not saying it is bad but it has a more refined feel where the Toyota's have a more raw feel (not the new Toyota **** though). Hell my sedan B5 has a **** ton of space in it. The entire car really and it is quite comfortable.

What all are you doing to the Alltrac? I like the first Gen Alltracs compared to the second and third.

OH and if you can I would look for the cold weather package. You get heated seats, side view mirrors, and locks. The seats are worth it especially with snow *** hole deep on a 10 foot Indian.

Last edited by zandrew; 02-24-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:43 AM
1st Gear

i live in Lake tahoe... elevation where i am at is about 7000... and i have the 99 A4 1.8T, manuel trans FWD (with studs) and let me tell ya i can get around anywhere in this car we had some nice storms about a month ago and just replaced the turbo i have 186k miles this thing runs like a champ, 1st audi owned and def not the last.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 AM

Nice all trac! What engine you building up and sticking in there?

Sounds like your going to want an S4 or an all road for the highway power you asked for

Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by redline380
an avant will suit you nicely for hauling parts (ask the trunk moderator)
As the resident trunk moderator, I approve this message.