B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Which B5 is right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Just to add to Don's engine info, the 30v from 98-99 was DBC. At the 99.5 mid year facelift they went to DBW. If the car has projector headlights, it's facelifted and is DBW.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

I live in Colorado and frequently drive Loveland, Vail, and Berthoud Pass in my 30V 2.8 quattro. It's easily got enough power to get around up there, and while I'm never hauling parts around, I still have multiple pairs of skis, boots, and a few people to add some weight. One thing I'd definitely recommend is quattro. It's saved my *** a few times on a snow-packed Loveland Pass sans guardrail.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by zandrew
Nice Alltrac. I come from the Toyota background so I can appreicate it. I have owned several MR2's both MKI and MKII and a couple AE86's. Just recently have I given up on the Toyota's and moved to Audi AWD but the MKI MR2 will always be dear to my heart. The B5 is somewhat problematic and the issues seem to be a bit less straight forward then my older Toyota but that seems true with all OBD2 equipped vehicles compared to the earlier stuff.

I absolutely love my A4 which is 1.8T AWD with some tasteful mods. I like the Avant better but they are hard to come by. I have heard that the All roads are AWEFUL on gas. I think if you drive a chipped 1.8 you will be happy as they offer more hp then the V6's and respond better to mods. Hell there is guy on here that has nicely modded 1.8 with almost 300xxx miles on it still using the stock turbo and un-opened motor. I am sure you are aware he has taken great care of it though.

Comparing the B5 AWD 1.8 to an all trac is not a very fair comparison though. The Audi suspension seems to lack precision compared to that generation of Toyota vehicles. I am not saying it is bad but it has a more refined feel where the Toyota's have a more raw feel (not the new Toyota **** though). Hell my sedan B5 has a **** ton of space in it. The entire car really and it is quite comfortable.

What all are you doing to the Alltrac? I like the first Gen Alltracs compared to the second and third.

OH and if you can I would look for the cold weather package. You get heated seats, side view mirrors, and locks. The seats are worth it especially with snow *** hole deep on a 10 foot Indian.
Thanks for the info! I'll keep my eyes open for a cold weather package! I'm not trying to compare the two. The Audi would just be a parts hauler to get my car back on the road, and when I have more than one person that wants to hit the slopes with me.

As for my 'Trac, I'm rebuilding the engine with better forged goodies. Should be good for 500 whp, but I'll likely stick with something in the mid 300's for now. Basically my plan is to modernize the engine management, and build the car for reliability. Build thread is here: AllTrac.net • View topic - ZeroDrift's 1988 All Trac. Engine Overhaul Project!

Originally Posted by norcal89451
i live in Lake tahoe... elevation where i am at is about 7000... and i have the 99 A4 1.8T, manuel trans FWD (with studs) and let me tell ya i can get around anywhere in this car we had some nice storms about a month ago and just replaced the turbo i have 186k miles this thing runs like a champ, 1st audi owned and def not the last.
That is a very nice area! Been years since I've been up there! The 1.8l turbo does well at that elevation from the sounds of it. Any chance you've had the car higher in elevation?

Originally Posted by audiaxel
I live in Colorado and frequently drive Loveland, Vail, and Berthoud Pass in my 30V 2.8 quattro. It's easily got enough power to get around up there, and while I'm never hauling parts around, I still have multiple pairs of skis, boots, and a few people to add some weight. One thing I'd definitely recommend is quattro. It's saved my *** a few times on a snow-packed Loveland Pass sans guardrail.
I'll be opting for a Quattro model as all of our cars are already awd. Rear drive would be equally acceptable. BMW has a nice rear drive wagon, but the price range on those is more than I want to spend. Would stall out my project and business too much.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Just to add to Don's engine info, the 30v from 98-99 was DBC. At the 99.5 mid year facelift they went to DBW. If the car has projector headlights, it's facelifted and is DBW.
Thank you!

Old 02-24-2013, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

I went ski'n at a resort that is 4800 ft not too far from home and you start out at about 1500 ft at the bottom. You reach the top in 6 miles of driving if I remember correctly and at that time I had an AWE K04 kit with PC16 upgrade. The car drove nice and had excellent power all the way up and was loaded down. I also drove the car in about 12" of snow at the end of October and had no issues except it is tricky driving with the ABS messed up.

I have drove both 12V and 30V V6's and I think the 1.8 with tasteful mods is the way to go. I don't think you will be disappointed any way you go though.