B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Best place to buy VCG? 2.8 30V

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 02:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Best place to buy VCG? 2.8 30V

I believe my VCG's are leaking and I want to replace them, I have a 98.5 2.8 30V

ECS, Blauparts, FCP? or are there better places to order these?

My car is misfiring pretty badly and I want to do my valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, plug wires, and fuel filter...

I heard if my valve cover gaskets are leaking it my be pointless to do my plugs because oil will just get all over the plugs again and cause them to fail/misfire again, I know my car is leaking oil from somewhere, I haven't had time to check where from but I just assume it's the vcg's...

Is a normal obd scanner good enough to get all of the codes from these cars?

How do I get VagCom?

Old 07-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DewAudiA4
I believe my VCG's are leaking and I want to replace them, I have a 98.5 2.8 30V

ECS, Blauparts, FCP? or are there better places to order these?
They all carry the same brands, so wherever you can get them the cheapest would be my vote. I recommend OEM, Victor Reinz, Goetze, etc. Stay away from the super cheap stuff.

I heard if my valve cover gaskets are leaking it my be pointless to do my plugs because oil will just get all over the plugs again and cause them to fail/misfire again, I know my car is leaking oil from somewhere, I haven't had time to check where from but I just assume it's the vcg's...
Not a bad assumption, there aren't a ton of places at that height on the motor where you could be leaking oil from. However, it doesn't say with 100% certainty that the misfires are related to the leaky gaskets. Is there already oil on your plugs? How old are they?

Is a normal obd scanner good enough to get all of the codes from these cars?

How do I get VagCom?
A regular OBDII scanner will pull all of the codes for you, but it won't be as full-featured as Vag Com. You can download VCDS lite from Ross-tek's website for free, then use an eBay cable or shell out the cash for a real one. With VCDS lite and an eBay cable, you'll be able to pull all the codes, but not much else. I don't believe you can even clear them with that setup. I have the ECS Master scanner for Audi, VW, Seat, and Skoda and it's awesome. Far more useful than a generic OBDII scanner, far cheaper than VAG-Com

Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 PM
2nd Gear

I just bought the "base" valve cover gasket set from Blauparts. It includes the cam chain Tensioner seals as well as the cam seals. It was ~$70 with free shipping. Ebay has the tensioner removal tool for ~$10.

I don't see how the leaking valve cover could foul the plugs unless the oil has gotten in between the plug and the wire. The plug has a crush washer on the base where it threads in to seal the cylinder compression. If oil is getting though here, there is more of a problem.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:15 PM

if your fouling plugs your valve cover gaskets are not the problem. The leaking oil is valve cover gasket related but they will not cause misfires.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:37 PM
1st Gear

But the inner 3-ring VCG that comes with the kit may be introducing oil into the spark plug area - not inside the block. Chances are good those are the culprit if you have oil in that area.

Replace the VCG (2 outer and 2 inner), cam tensioner seals/half moons and cam caps. I just had them done on mine and had all spark plugs repalced. I had oil in the head cavity where the plugs go (top area where the wires plug to the plugs). Now nice and clean.

I got my kit from ECS. The VAG indie said they were a good kit. Was going to do them myself but I didn't want to deal with the tensioner seals and cam caps.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:44 PM

the inner 3 ring part is a part of the valve cover gasket so when you have oil on the plugs change the valve cover gaskets. Pulling the chain tensioner isn't hard at all get the tool be done. Yes the plug wire boots will be covered in oil but you shouldn't be experiencing misfires from it.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

The leaky VCG fouling the plugs and causing misfires is just something I read while doing some research I could be dead wrong lol

I haven't even checked my wires for oil, I'm just assuming it's my VCG leaking oil because I'm adding a quart of oil every couple weeks, I haven't had time to do a tune up since I bought it but I do know according to the carfax since 2008 it was only driven a maybe 8,000 miles ~~ over four years...

That makes me assume the plugs, wires, OIL, valve cover gaskets, fuel filter, air filters, none of it has been done for quite some time... I couldn't find 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 0w-40 so I got 10w-30 and I'm hoping that's ok for an oil change.

So what exactly should I look for in a Valve cover gasket KIT? like what all should it include for a thorough job so it quits leaking oil if the VCG is the culprit for the oil leaking?

I'm trying to find time to do a full tune up including valve cover gaskets, but after being a part of this forum for a while now it seems we have sensitive cars and I don't want to start putting china made AUTOZONE parts on my car so I've been skeptical to buy anything for the tune up haha

Good options for spark plugs, wires, fuel filters, air filters, oil filters etc would be awesome, I've done research but can't come up with solid answers... I just know my car needs some TLC and it would run awesome and I would probably find some missing power

sorry for the long *** reply

Old 07-19-2012, 10:41 PM

for valve cover your getting the inner and outer. you also want a cam chain tensioner gasket and valley plug to get the whole thing sealed off. If your just assuming its the valve cover gasket, check it first don't just throw parts at it.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Administrator

For the record, the shareware vagcom can clear CEL codes, as well as airbag and ABS codes.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:27 AM
1st Gear

You can get the full VCG kit from ECS. It includes the main VCG, the inners, the cam tensioner gaskets, the valley (1/2 moons) gaskets and the cam seals and caps. All for about $75.

All you need to do the tensioner gaskets and valleys is the tensioner tool. The rest of the tools needed are standard sockets. I was going to do them, but didn't have 2 weekend days to tackle it so a local VAG indie did it for me.

Do you have a burning oil smell? If so chances are the passenger side tensioner gasket or cam cap is leaking and dripping on the exhaust. The tensioner seals leak like a sieve.

Last edited by Lynskey; 07-20-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Best place to buy VCG? 2.8 30V