B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Blauparts issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Blauparts issues

After recently purchasing my Avant i was advised from a friend of this company who has great parts at a reasonable price so i decided to order a few things from them. Being new to this type of engine, i wasnt aware of the first issue so dont flame me please.

I first ordered a valve cover gasket kit with the needed tensioner tool. When placing the order, the sales person never advised me that I needed any other special tools so I thought nothing of it. I recieved the kit and that weekend i jumped into the job and half way through, I find out that i need to remove the camshafts in order to replace the other seals that the kit comes with. Maybe its me but you would think the company would say something about this when placing the order being they offer the tool rental for this type of job and the instructions they supply should say this in the beginning and not half way through the job. I called them the next business day and they admitted to this mistake and gave me a 15% discount on my future order and will also send me another set of valve cover gaskets for free and a free tool rental ( i had to pay the deposit still ). Not bad so far.

2nd order was a transmission filter kit w/fluid. Now maybe this was my mistake but they again did good by it. I opened the box and found the 6 bottle of fluid and another large box which i figured was the filter and gasket. I started on the service and dropped the pan and was happy to find no debris in the pan and very small amount of material on the magnets for a vehicle with 85k on the clock. I cleaned everything up and went to grab the new filter and **** me, they forgot to put it in the shipment and only sent the fluid and gasket. So at 8pm on a saturday night, im running to my local parts store to hopefully find one in stock which i did. I again called Blau the next business day and they had me send the receipt for the filter i paid for an credited me my money. This is where i just said, w/e

3rd order was for 2 outer cv boot kits. THIS time i opened the boxes and checked everything was in them. I started on the right side boot and got it installed and ready to clamp. Here is where my f'in luck goes down the drain. I started to crimp the larger clamp with the special tool for this job and what do you know, the new clamp snaps at the crimp??? So now im heated but what can i do but handle my **** and ran to the store and bought a clamp kit and went home to put it on. Ill remind you, i never crimped the smaller clamp yet that came with their boot kit. So i put the new clamp i bought from the store and crimped it the same way and it was fine, i then decided to crimp the smaller clamp and you guessed it, it snapped. FML. I had enough of this issue so i decided to throw a large zip tie on it for now.

Has anyone else had issues with this company as im pretty much done dealing with them even though they have taken care of the issues but that doesnt fix the time and energy ive lost.

Last edited by 01 Avant; 02-27-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

73 views and no one had issues - i find it hard to believe

Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 AM
2nd Gear

I would say I've had those problems when I bought the cheapest parts I could find. And Blau sells price, not quality.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mtroxel
I would say I've had those problems when I bought the cheapest parts I could find. And Blau sells price, not quality.
I would have to disagree here. I've made plenty of purchases from Blauparts (I would guess more than 10) and have never had an issue. I have found though, that in order to be 100% sure you're getting the right parts they need your VIN#. The descriptions and customer service people are pretty good but not perfect. With a VIN you'll be sure you're getting the right stuff.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 AM
1st Gear

I bought the timing belt kit from Blauparts and most of the parts in it seemed to be decent quality. I did spend extra to get the blue kevlar "racing" belt (Gates brand, USA made). The water pump that was included was an Italian-made unit with a plastic impeller though... and I've read that those are hit-or-miss on quality, but I installed it anyway. Also the serpentine tensioner pulley seemed to be more cheaply made than my original. The main beef that I had however, was that they include a new crankshaft seal, but no new crankshaft main bolt, and you're never supposed to re-use that bolt since it's a stretch-to-torque application. A new bolt is only $7 and if they're not going to include that, then they should just omit the crankshaft seal and the couple bucks that costs from the timing belt kit as well.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear

That's been my experience there. I bought a t-belt kit for my 96 from them. I wasn't too impressed with some of the parts. And when I started it up, there was a huge noise. Their water pump stuck out about 1 or 2 mm more than the factory one and scraped on the back of the viscous fan pulley bracket. Had to take it back apart and grind a little off the back of that pulley bracket.

I'm sure they would say I should have sent it back. But come on. Really?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

Keep your apologies and my money, I don't need either. I cut my losses after this last issue and I'm not wasting anymore of my time. I spent good money on these "special kits" to have each order with its own separate issue. I never spent $115 for a valve cover gasket kit to only be able to use a valve cover gasket that i could of just bought at a local store for $40. Lesson learned.