B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Blow off valve/ chip opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:05 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by SlackJaw
:idk:

I am very willing to receive more information on it here...I have always been under the impression that a DV is a DV is a DV...that an upgraded DV is just changing the "threshold" so to speak of the diversion. I guess I assume that the computer is dealing with whatever information it receives and compensating :idk:

I have also been under the impression that the performance gains would be fairly minimal if noticeable at all, that's why I never really get around to it.

Please inform me if I am ignorant to any of this
To my understanding the stock DV is made out of plastic and typically cannot handle the added boost you are getting with your chipped ECU. An aftermarket DV like forge or whatever is made out of metal and is much better equiped to handle the added boost. Basically your stock DV is going to break soon

Old 04-13-2010, 11:08 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Nevalite
To my understanding the stock DV is made out of plastic and typically cannot handle the added boost you are getting with your chipped ECU. An aftermarket DV like forge or whatever is made out of metal and is much better equiped to handle the added boost. Basically your stock DV is going to break soon
I guess I'll need to get right on that

What will be noticed if the DV fails?

Old 04-13-2010, 11:10 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah usually people replace the DV at the same time they get a chip, some of them arent that expensive. As far as what happens when it fails well I'm not sure exactly, someone else here can probably tell you. One thing I can tell you is your turbo will not be very happy lol.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

it would hold boost if the dv fails. if you have a boost gauge you should definately be able to see it, if you couldnt feel it. by the way i have a giac and its great.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the heads up fellers...I had no idea

I'll be heading over to the DV sticky and Forge here shortly.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Guru

do you guys not see he is an 06, 2.0

those guys fall into a totally different category then us b5 and even the b6 guys

i think they can run just "stage 1" with no real problems

but you want to read the stickies in your section.....

Old 04-13-2010, 12:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by turbo kraut

those guys fall into a totally different category then us b5 and even the b6 guys

heh heh, I'm just as much at fault, I forgot this was in B5 section

yeh, I'll check them stickies out

Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Audacity
it would hold boost if the dv fails. if you have a boost gauge you should definately be able to see it, if you couldnt feel it. by the way i have a giac and its great.
The car wouldn't hold boost if the DV failed. It generally doesn't hold boost, you might see it spike every once in a while if there is a small hole, but normally it cracks and the car would run terrible.

Yeah usually people replace the DV at the same time they get a chip, some of them arent that expensive. As far as what happens when it fails well I'm not sure exactly, someone else here can probably tell you. One thing I can tell you is your turbo will not be very happy lol.
There is no saying when the stock ones will fail with a chip, but they usually do with a chip, so it's just recommend to do it at the same time. The plastic stock ones usually can't take the extra boost and end up cracking. You can upgrade to a Bosch 710N DV alss know as an Audi TT DV, for around $50. This work well if you're looking to tune on a budget, but note they are also plastic. They could also crack, but this isn't really a worry. Eventually it could crack due to weathering, but it's going to take a while.

Most people spend a little more money and upgrade to a Forge, Bailey, or APR (there are other brands too). These normally cost about $150 and are metal, some stainless steel or painted. These tend to last very longer and the springs in some of them can be to changed depending on your tune.

Originally Posted by turbo kraut

True, but out of interest I searched some forums and could not find anything to support this. I think it is standard practice to replace the DV when the car is chipped. Most everything I said about upgrading the DV is for B5. For you B7, there are a few options, but this is what I found:

"One of the weakest spots on any chipped 2.0T cars is the diverter valve. The fragile factory diaphragm can crack under high boost pressure and create a massive boost leak. This OEM valve from the new FSI motors features an upgraded piston type design modeled after the more expensive aftermarket units. This is the perfect solution for anybody needing an upgraded DV that does not want to void their factory warranty with "aftermarket" parts"

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_A4-...alve/ES263879/

I would still search the B7 section to see what other owners with chips and upgraded DVs recommend!

Last edited by jmgrande; 04-13-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jmgrande
The car wouldn't hold boost if the DV failed. It generally doesn't hold boost, you might see it spike every once in a while if there is a small hole, but normally it cracks and the car would run terrible.

There is no saying when the stock ones will fail with a chip, but they usually do with a chip, so it's just recommend to do it at the same time. The plastic stock ones usually can't take the extra boost and end up cracking. You can upgrade to a Bosch 710N DV alss know as an Audi TT DV, for around $50. This work well if you're looking to tune on a budget, but note they are also plastic. They could also crack, but this isn't really a worry. Eventually it could crack due to weathering, but it's going to take a while.

Most people spend a little more money and upgrade to a Forge, Bailey, or APR (there are other brands too). These normally cost about $150 and are metal, some stainless steel or painted. These tend to last very longer and the springs in some of them can be to changed depending on your tune.

True, but out of interest I searched some forums and could not find anything to support this. I think it is standard practice to replace the DV when the car is chipped. Most everything I said about upgrading the DV is for B5. For you B7, there are a few options, but this is what I found:

"One of the weakest spots on any chipped 2.0T cars is the diverter valve. The fragile factory diaphragm can crack under high boost pressure and create a massive boost leak. This OEM valve from the new FSI motors features an upgraded piston type design modeled after the more expensive aftermarket units. This is the perfect solution for anybody needing an upgraded DV that does not want to void their factory warranty with "aftermarket" parts"

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_A4-...alve/ES263879/

I would still search the B7 section to see what other owners with chips and upgraded DVs recommend!
sweet, thanks for all the info - I posted to the sticky in B7 just to see if the info was up to date, will reference your link as well Thanks again!