B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Blown head gasket...need advice making a tough decision.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4 2000
Oh and I just wasted money on new tires, struts, and brakes.
Sounds like it's time to Craig's List this thing and part it out. You might be surprised.

What are you going to look for in a new one?

Old 09-19-2013, 04:25 PM
2nd Gear

Oh and I just wasted money on new tires, struts, and brakes.
Well, it looks like a part out is in the near future for you, my friend.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:48 PM
2nd Gear

I guess craigslist is the only logical way to go then. She was a good girl and had a lot of power when she was running good. I will miss her...'wiping a tear with my finger'. Maybe someone has the time and money to take her in as a project car.

As for looking for another car, I'm not going to be very picky like I have been in the past. I just want a car that's not a gas guzzler, that has a timing chain, that doesn't look too ugly, and that doesn't have any leaks.

My brother-in-law has a 98 BMW 528i that it has a small oil leak from the rear main seal, needs tie rods, 3 window regulators, a new ac compressor, and it's on non-op so it would need new tags.

He said he'll give it to me if I promise to help him on a down payment on another car. I like the idea of not having a monthly payment and the car runs strong.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

I guess craigslist is the only logical way to go then. She was a good girl and had a lot of power when she was running good. I will miss her...'wiping a tear with my finger'. Maybe someone has the time and money to take her in as a project car.

As for looking for another car, I'm not going to be very picky like I have been in the past. I just want a car that's not a gas guzzler, that has a timing chain, that doesn't look too ugly, and that doesn't have any leaks.

My brother-in-law has a 98 BMW 528i that it has a small oil leak from the rear main seal, needs tie rods, 3 window regulators, a new ac compressor, and it's on non-op so it would need new tags.

He said he'll give it to me if I promise to help him on a down payment on another car. I like the idea of not having a monthly payment and the car runs strong.
Time to go Japanese man. Ultimate reliability if you go Honda. I hate to say it but my Audis have been the most expensive cars I have ever had to maintain and I've owned 29 of nearly every make. Love them but geez are they a pain in the buttocks to keep up. I owned a 2004 Infiniti FX-35 and drove it 60,000 miles with nothing but gas and oil. The BMW sounds like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited by Huskerbob; 09-20-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:13 AM
2nd Gear

Well, the car has just been sitting in my garage and I had the whole day free so I thought what the hell I have nothing to lose by trying to see if I can do the head gasket job myself. I got as far as getting to the timing belt and will continue another day. I guess what's left is removing the intake and exhaust manifold, coolant flange, cam sensor, and fuel rail.

There's a shop in town that will resurface the head for only $45. My biggest worry is that they said I need to remove the cams and the lifters for them to do it. How am I supposed to figure out how to place the cams back on so the valves are in time again with the pistons? The only thing I can think of is taking pictures of how the lobes on the cams are positioned, but that doesn't seem like a good idea to rely off of a picture. Any advice?

Name:  20131017_175005.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  86.8 KB

Last edited by A4 2000; 10-18-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:49 AM

Looks like the front of my 2001 1.8T "project car" lol. (just finished up timing belt 2 days ago, still lots more to do)

When you reinstall the cams, they will actuate the valves accordingly. You can simply get the head back together with the cams timed properly to each other via the notches on the cams and counting links on the cam chain. Then set the exhaust cam to line up with the notch on the valve cover. Rotate the crank to TDC (align the crank pulley's mark to the mark on the lower timing belt cover). This will set you at TDC effectively, and you can reinstall the head. Then put the timing belt/tensioner back on, and rotate the crank several times to make sure your timing marks (on exhaust cam and crank pulley) still line up.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Legal Moderator

the absolute best way to take cams out and reinstall them is do as metalman described and set everything at tdc, but he didn't mention to put plenty of marks with a paint pen on the cams and chain. that way you know exactly how to put the cams back in as you just put them in the same way they came out. no need to count links or anything

Old 10-18-2013, 02:21 PM
2nd Gear

Thank you metalman and redline380. It didn't occur to me about putting paint marks on the cams and cam chain. I'm going to put marks everywhere lol. On the crank gear too. I hope this all works out when I have time to finish everything. Wish me luck, I need it!

Old 10-25-2013, 12:06 PM
1st Gear

How is this little project coming along for you? I believe I'm in need of a head gasket as well, and have the same problem with putting money in the car vs. getting a new one.

Oh, and I'm driving my girlfriends Ford Edge

Old 10-25-2013, 11:19 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by JavanT
How is this little project coming along for you? I believe I'm in need of a head gasket as well, and have the same problem with putting money in the car vs. getting a new one.

Oh, and I'm driving my girlfriends Ford Edge
Hey man. Well, it's a slow one since I don't have much free time. I need to make a list of all the parts I need too so I can actually get the job done since I don't even have the tool I need to get the head bolts out for starters.

I need new head bolts of course and I want to get a complete gasket kit and timing belt kit so everything will be in top shape. And not to forget getting the head resurfaced. It will still be a lot cheaper in the end to get the car running compared to buying another car. That is if all goes well God willing. Messing up the timing was my biggest concern but if everything is marked then there shouldn't be anything to worry about I guess.

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket...need advice making a tough decision.