B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Blue tinted mirrors..

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:32 PM
vgo
2nd Gear
Default RE: Blue tinted mirrors..

its like rusting from the inside...it is because of the heated mirrors, which is what everyone else said. i remember someone here mentioned of trying to remove it, and all it did was it peeled of the reflective coating. best bet is to find a used one as people advised that it is quite expensive to purchase such a small item.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

Yeah it doesn't bother me enough to buy a new one.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Administrator

They are automatic - they are controlled through the outside temp monitor if I remember right - below a certain temperature they turn on by themselves. There's a DIY somewhere on the various forums showing how to delete that automatic control and instead wire it into the rear defroster switch. If I replace mine (since they don't work anyway) I'm going to do that while they're brand-new so the discoloration doesn't happen again.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:33 AM
1st Gear

I don't know about your mirrors but mine are controled by the rear window defroster switch. Nothing to do with outside temp. And mine look just like his. Is there a DIY on replacing that glass?

Old 04-11-2008, 09:43 AM
4th Gear

Replacing the glass is a piece of cake; just use the electronic control to turn the mirror all the way to one side or the other so you can fit your finger under it, and just pop it off nice and easy. It's got a circle of tabs on the back that clip onto the motor assembly. Then you just pull off the wires for the heater.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

It may not bother you not, but don't worry it will spread by a wildfire. Almost half of my driver side mirror is brown.

I went to remove the glass the other day, and I found that the prongs that connect to the back of mirror inorder to heat it are so corroded that they wont just simply come off. I was yanking on them very hard only to find myself starting to seperate the prong and its connector (the one attached to the back of the mirror by what appears to be some strong doublesided tape? or other type of adhesive).

And at ecstuning they want 150$ for two peices of glass. These are currently the biggest problem on my car, and I cant find a private seller for my life.

Frustrating.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:47 AM

Search ebay. I've seen the replacement mirror glass there before.

I bought a used mirrorfrom a local Audi dismantler, ap-specialites.com.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

Eh, my friend got some glass off of ebay for 00 A4. They were listed to fit it, and there is a large gap at the top of the mirror between the housing. They don't fit like factory.

Maybe he just got a bad seller.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:15 PM

i've had the same problem since i got my car back in november, and it hasnt spread at all. Idk about anyone else, but it doesnt bother me that much either. I can still see out of em just fine, and it doesnt look THAT bad unless you get right up on it.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

Is it cold where you live? During the winter is when mine spread.
Anyone else have a problem with removing the glass like the one I posted above ?

Quick Reply: Blue tinted mirrors..