B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

boost gauge installed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Default boost gauge installed!

So I got a GlowShift boost gauge installed. Didn't take too long, and we did things PROPERLY. My buddy and I soldered each wire, ran things properly, and overall made the whole assembly look pretty clean. The most annoying part was cutting through the vent; but once you pierce through all the way it becomes easy. From that, I used a dremel and touched it up:

The dremel slipped on my very first attempt and blemished one of the fins, as you can see. Also, they're not 100% perfectly cut. I'm over it. It's hard to tell in the car unless you're looking for faults. By the time I was done, I had mastered the dremel, and all the edges of the fins are perfectly smooth and rounded off so it doesn't look like a chop-job. They're also grooved so the gauge sits in at an angle and doesn't vibrate at all.

As you can tell, I have it angled slightly towards me. It maintains that symmetrical look with it being mounted in the center vent, but it's form following function with this slight modification. All you have to do is dremel into the fins just a little bit so you can snap it in more on one side than you can on the other. I might touch this up so it's angled slightly more towards me.

From the other side. Sorry about the embarrassing fin-cut, but it's seriously not noticeable unless you're being a dick and going "LOL WHAT CAN I FIND THAT'S COSMETICALLY IMPERFECT"

===

Overall, I really like the boost gauge. It has a ******* ridiculous red glow that matches the interior 100% perfectly. It looks stock. I also really like the soft white glow with a red needle; it matches my dash.

There's seven solid colors you can choose from; white, cyan, blue, green, red, purple, and yellow. Also three color-changing modes if you're feeling exotic. One jumps straight from color to color (really boring), another fades in and out (really cool during day-time driving with parking lights on when you don't really care about the color, since it's not all that visible) and the third one is a little more complex. As it fades out, it flickers on and off, then gradually fades into the next color. It's really just for show, but also very cool indeed.

I'll take some night-time pics once the sun sets (no ****?)

Old 02-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Default RE: boost gauge installed!

Oh, for those of you who are wondering, I have the APR chip, and I spike at 20psi and hold 15-16, sometimes I see 17, but I think my eyes are lying. Free bump for myself.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:30 PM
3rd Gear

I'm guessing by your artsy photos that it doesn't look that good from the seats.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:40 PM

I'm guessing you're WRONG.

===

===

So now that I've proved Sineo wrong, I'll wait until the night settles so I can take some pics with it glowing [8D]

Old 02-28-2008, 06:41 PM
3rd Gear

I'm guessing by the distance you leave between your camera and the gauge that it only looks good from far away.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:42 PM

Let's see your boost g-- OH WAIT THAT'S RIGHT YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A TURBO! Hahaha quit toying with me, it's not working!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:44 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Leifer

Let's see your boost g-- OH WAIT THAT'S RIGHT YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A TURBO!
Yeah, good one.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:45 PM

I win. Sandwich now?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:02 PM
4th Gear

Looks good. Glad you got it all working!

josh

Old 02-28-2008, 08:19 PM

Thanks Josh.

Next step is to do the HID kit.... woohoo!

Quick Reply: boost gauge installed!