B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Brake Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:34 AM
2nd Gear
Angry Brake Master Cylinder

Alright, so im trying to replace my brake master cylinder and so far what a mess... When trying to remove the bolts that hold the brake booster and master cylinder, I realized one was too long, meaning it ran into the metal that sperates the engine and the battery... To get it out I had to drill a hole to get the bolt out from the engine side of the panel... Alright so then after that, i get the old master out and go to put the new one in... Now the problem is that I cant get the master cylinder to go in flush since that same metal seperator is in the way. If i go in at an angle the pushpin (not sure of the correct term) wont line up with the master cylinder plunger, or the side of the master cylinder gets stuck. I had thought that i finally got it, but after putting it all together the brake pedal isnt operating the master cylinder so the pin must not be lined up... Any thoughts on this?? I had thought about trying to remove the brake pedal so that i can make the pushpin (connected to the brake, located in the brake booster/servo) go in more, but my service manual lists some weird tool to disconnect the pedal, and the brake switches have these clips (on the switch itself, not the connector) that i cant figure out to remove without breaking them.. So im stuck and Im open to any ideas. Thanks

Old 04-04-2009, 06:01 PM

How did you end up getting the master cylinder out - the metal wall is in the way and without cutting a big hole in it - I'm stuck for ideas.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 PM
2nd Gear

Thats what i did, i drilled a hole in the wall. The engine was just enough out of the way so that my drill bit wasnt too angled so that it wouldnt bite, there was just enough room with my particular drill and bit so that I could drill just flush enough. I started with a couple smaller bits and worked my way up.. Once i did that it wasnt too bad, option two would be maybe remove that plastic below the wipers and pull the booster out too, but to pull the booster you have to disconect the pedal and my service manual calls for some tool, and it appears to hard to rig up your own tool because there isnt enough room to see on the backside of it... Id try a drill, otherwise i can get the part number for the tool if you wanted to try that.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:16 AM

Thanks - I ended up just bending the metal piece back and out of the way just enough so I could get it out - didn't really want to start drilling, but thanks for the response.