B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

brakes/bleeding

Old 11-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Smile brakes/bleeding

Hi there ,new here so here goes ,got an a4 1.9tdi 99 model ,went to change front pads today and couldnt press back the calliper pistons had to release the bleed nipples and push fluid out that way ,and also noticed the front flexi hoses were shot so changed them as well ,but cant seem to bleed out now no brake pedal at all !!is there a special way to do these cars as i never had a problem on my other cars before thanks steve

Old 11-15-2008, 04:39 PM
3rd Gear

what did you use to try to push the pistons back in? im assuming the TDI would be similar to the other B5 A4's, and you can just use a C Clamp and press the piston back in. you definately wouldnt be able to push it in by hand if thats what you were trying.

when bleeding the breaks start from the one farthest from the fluid resevoir and work to the front. if bleeding just the fronts isnt working you can try doing a complete bleed of all 4 wheels.

are you using a brake bleeder of some kind? you cant just open and close the bleeder valve because believe it or not air can still get in there. you need some kind of tube that goes over the nipple then you submerge the tube in brake fluid so theres no way of sucking up air. then bleed how you normaly would.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Question A4 brakes /bleeding

Hi again ,just to clear up any confusion ,took callipers off cradle pulled out pads used a big pair of grips n tried to push back the calliper but couldnt so i thought the flexi hoses were shot so changed them as well but still nothing so cracked open bleed nipples so i could get fluid out ,went to bleed, one person in car one out convential way but no fluid coming out, fluid goes up n down in master cylinder but nothing else ,should i pressure bleed would that work or does it need diagnostics to open up the ABS pump to bleed it out cheers again steve

Old 11-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Slut

try it with the ignition in the on position, but engine off.. and make sure there is enough fluid in it obv...

Old 11-22-2008, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

Im having the same problem trying to bleed my brakes. I replaced the brake hose, rotors and pads on the front wheels. No amount of conventional bleeding is producing any fluid from the caliper.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Guys, the rear pistons on the A4 screw in. They don't compress like the fronts do. You need a piston retractor kit (AutoZone loans them) to put the pistons back in. Trying to compress them will only aggravate you.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:07 PM
4th Gear

They're all doing front brake pads.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1275 sprint
...and couldnt press back the calliper pistons...
LOL, this is what stuck in my mind - guess I got a little dyslexic and thought "couldn't press the back caliper pistons..."

Old 12-06-2008, 08:42 PM

this has nothing to do with bleeding breaks but it has to do with breaks. i just got an 01 audi a4 quatro 1.8t, when im driving my abs light comes on, with a red breaks light next to it. now it comes and goes, sometimes for like 5 min sometimes for 30 or longer. all that my audi book says is that im having trouble with my abs and that i should go see a dealer. i was just wondering if it could be the break fluid.

any sudgestions???

thank you.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

how do i bleed my 1999 Audi A4 1.8 turbo brakes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brakes/bleeding