B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Breaking question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:53 AM
1st Gear
Question Breaking question.

I'm about to replace the breaks on my A4. I know the breaks use the anti rattle springs. Does everyone replace these and are their any known tricks for getting these in smoothly?

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

I replaced the rear rotors and pads on mine and inspected the front... the one thing i can say to help is buy audi OEM parts or genuine audi parts. autozone and other places like that have parts that fit but there are a few things different.. the front pads have a wear sensor on them and local parts stores usually dont have those. also there is a countersunk hole on the rotor for a screw to snug the rotor up on the hub so you can get the lugs threw the rotor and into the hub without the rotor moving around on you.. its not a bad job but dont strip the allen bolts on the front caliper.. there a b***h

hope this helps

Old 05-22-2009, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

well i dont know about using oem audi stuff. theres a lot of good aftermarket out there online or in stores, just make sure you get the right thing since sometimes the guys at parts stores dont ask enough questions and youll get pads for a different a4 or an a4 avant since there are a several varieties of brake systems out there. i find that NAPA has better than oem stuff for cheaper more often than not.

as for tips:
-keep everything CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. use fresh rubber gloves once you go to put the pads and avoid touching the friction material as much as possible. you dont want to get any grease or other contaminants bedded in there. once theyre in and youre about to put the caliper back over the rotor spray all braking surfaces with brake cleaner and wipe with clean paper towels.
-as ballin said, be really careful with those caliper bolts... let them soak with some penetrating oil for awhile, overnight if you can. if they strip then things get fun, a lot of awkward time with pneumatic cut-off wheels, chisels, and other things could be in your future. you're usually supposed to replace those bolts every time you take them out but many do not and they get stretched and frozen in there.
-the springs arent too much of an issue, just have to toy with getting them in there and the experience is different every time.
-if you wire brush the rusty surfaces and use an anti-seize product like neverseize on the bolts it will make your next brake job go by twice as fast.

brakes arent bad in standard practice but i feel like theres always something stupid popping up to slow you down since its such a high heat and corrosion area.

Last edited by TheProfessor; 05-22-2009 at 03:06 PM.