B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

To buy or not to buy... An immaculate A4 but with 213k miles (as a first car :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cruzer555
Hmm...
-I haven't heard of head gaskets going on A4s... I'm sure they do but aren't the odds of that happening like less than 1%
-Also aren't heater cores really uncommon too?
-As for rust yeah I know what you mean there I have seen my dad have to really hammer hard on rusted bolts...
-The control arms have been replaced, everyone with an A4 I think replaces them, and they are easy and cheap anyway... As for the shocks they don't fail all the time like control arms but I will bounce them to check...

I can't see the car being a disaster, and yes I'm going to do the work myself...

Oh and unrelated but I have a question: Do the timing belt tools for the 2.8L 12v work on the 2.8L 30v? The reason I ask is because my dad has the tools...
That 1% is more like 90% at 200k+ miles. I work on these cars daily (and have been for 4 years now), trust me sir, the gaskets are metal, they fatigue and just let go at that mileage.

Same with heater cores, its just fatigue and heat cycles, this stuff only lasts so long. Just as you cant expect water pumps and timing belt running gear to last over 100k miles, you can't expect these things to keep functioning forever. Ive done 2 heater core jobs in B5 S4's, both of which had slightly under 200k miles.

As far as the bushings and drivetrain stuff I was referring to: Center drive shaft bearing, rear control arms, rear / front subframe bushings. Diff carrier bushings. Rear sway bar trailing arms, etc. All this stuff wears down, and its not until you actually take it apart and look at it that you see how worn out this stuff gets.

Trust me on this =), few pieces of advice that you won't regret listening to.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:31 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MilitantGrunt
That 1% is more like 90% at 200k+ miles. I work on these cars daily (and have been for 4 years now), trust me sir, the gaskets are metal, they fatigue and just let go at that mileage.

Same with heater cores, its just fatigue and heat cycles, this stuff only lasts so long. Just as you cant expect water pumps and timing belt running gear to last over 100k miles, you can't expect these things to keep functioning forever. Ive done 2 heater core jobs in B5 S4's, both of which had slightly under 200k miles.

As far as the bushings and drivetrain stuff I was referring to: Center drive shaft bearing, rear control arms, rear / front subframe bushings. Diff carrier bushings. Rear sway bar trailing arms, etc. All this stuff wears down, and its not until you actually take it apart and look at it that you see how worn out this stuff gets.

Trust me on this =), few pieces of advice that you won't regret listening to.
F*ck... I am surprised that with all these problems happening to nearly every car, my moms hasn't had any problems at all... Hers is reeealy old, its literally the 574th A4 ever made! The only major thing ever to go was the steering rack and that wasn't awful, other than that its been basic stuff like CV boots, tie rod ends, control arms, bearings... Nothing at all like what you are suggesting even though the car is the oldest they get...

Old 04-02-2011, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

F*ck... I am surprised that with all these problems happening to nearly every car, my moms hasn't had any problems at all... Hers is reeealy old, its literally the 574th A4 ever made! The only major thing ever to go was the steering rack and that wasn't awful, other than that its been basic stuff like CV boots, tie rod ends, control arms, bearings... Nothing at all like what you are suggesting even though the car is the oldest they get...
Your mom also has the older generation 12 valve motor, they are a bit more reliable, good ol' barn door engineering if you know what I mean. It also depends on the owner of the vehicle, if shes the original owner, I can only imagine she didn't beat the living **** out of the car like some people do.

To give you an example, my S6, was a 1 owner car. The guy was a total nut when it came to it, with the car, I got the original window sticker, 3 bentley manuals, and a home made binder with pictures of the car, car and driver article cut outs, and a full service history going back to 7,000 miles. I bought the car with 206k miles, at 206,100 miles I blew the heater core, at 207k, I blew the head gasket. I also currently need a new radiator because mine is clogged. (from... high mileage woo.)

This is a car from a meticulous owner, had all the maintenance done on time, and yet, these problems still occurred, just because its 'time'. On the upside, I still have the original turbo and suspension seems to be mint. Every part has a limitation, its just a matter of when haha.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MilitantGrunt
Your mom also has the older generation 12 valve motor, they are a bit more reliable, good ol' barn door engineering if you know what I mean. It also depends on the owner of the vehicle, if shes the original owner, I can only imagine she didn't beat the living **** out of the car like some people do.

To give you an example, my S6, was a 1 owner car. The guy was a total nut when it came to it, with the car, I got the original window sticker, 3 bentley manuals, and a home made binder with pictures of the car, car and driver article cut outs, and a full service history going back to 7,000 miles. I bought the car with 206k miles, at 206,100 miles I blew the heater core, at 207k, I blew the head gasket. I also currently need a new radiator because mine is clogged. (from... high mileage woo.)

This is a car from a meticulous owner, had all the maintenance done on time, and yet, these problems still occurred, just because its 'time'. On the upside, I still have the original turbo and suspension seems to be mint. Every part has a limitation, its just a matter of when haha.
Huh, but isn't the 30V the same engine with different heads? Why would it be less reliable, more valves=more fail? Also when you say that s4s come in needing head gaskets wouldn't that higher failure be from the forced induction pressures? Just guessing since you mentioned it was s4s not a4s... As for the heater core and radiator, AFAIK those don't randomly clog, they leak, unless the previous owner used the deadly product "stop leak" which clogs everything...

Oh and I forgot to meantion that the original owner of my moms car was my uncle, and while he didn't abuse it (going hard with engine cold) he did go fast with it... And it doesn't even show...

Last edited by cruzer555; 04-02-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

I got one for my first car. I'd stay away. I got the 1.8t but unless you have tons of money laying around after you buy it I'd get something else.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:09 PM
2nd Gear

if you dont have money dont make this your first car youll never want to drive again

Old 04-02-2011, 09:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BoostLover97
I got one for my first car. I'd stay away. I got the 1.8t but unless you have tons of money laying around after you buy it I'd get something else.
Haha what happened to yours?

Old 04-02-2011, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audisaurus
if you dont have money dont make this your first car youll never want to drive again
I realize Audis cost a fortune to repair in the shop, but when you do the work yourself all the parts I have seen my dad get are really quite reasonable... I mean as long as the engine doesn't explode or something...

Old 04-02-2011, 10:54 PM
2nd Gear

I realize Audis cost a fortune to repair in the shop, but when you do the work yourself all the parts I have seen my dad get are really quite reasonable... I mean as long as the engine doesn't explode or something...
You let that timing belt go and it will explode . Happened to me Two days after I bought mine..

Old 04-02-2011, 11:54 PM
4th Gear

Hey fellow Audi lovers! I am looking for an A4 as a first car, I have been for a little while, and I spotted a nice pearl white 1998 A4 2.8 for $2000. The current owner is it's third, and he bought it from a friend over 50k miles ago. Basically what I am wondering is if an A4 over 200k miles is a lot worse to keep up with maintanance than one with say 160k. I plan on doing the repairs myself, but I would still rather the repairs be few and far between. My mom currently has a 1996 A4 2.8 with 216k miles on it and it has not had many problems at all, the only things I can think of are a steering rack at 180k, a bunch of control arms, a bunch of bearings, and one ABS sensor. Its all been simple stuff except the steering but even that wasn't bad. My dad does all repairs on it, he is an engineer.

What I know has been done is all typical maintanance as scheduled by the owner, a self proclaimed "car guy" and also the clutch and timing belt service at 150k.

So anyway, is it likely to be reliable and easy like my moms, or are they always breaking something at that point. Any other tips about me buying an A4 would be greatly appreciated as well, since I am sure there is plenty more to learn about the A4.

Thanks in advance!!!
all the maintence things you just mentioned are the most common to go wrong, im at about 190k miles and for a few years after i bought the car it was tracked both autocross and the local racetracks ( read TRACKS, not STRIPS) and its holding up pretty well, timing belt should be done every 100k miles or so, so just make sure thats all good. otherwise for the price its pretty reasonable

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy... An immaculate A4 but with 213k miles (as a first car :)