B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

To buy or not to buy... An immaculate A4 but with 213k miles (as a first car :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 01:15 PM
1st Gear
Default To buy or not to buy... An immaculate A4 but with 213k miles (as a first car :)

Hey fellow Audi lovers! I am looking for an A4 as a first car, I have been for a little while, and I spotted a nice pearl white 1998 A4 2.8 for $2000. The current owner is it's third, and he bought it from a friend over 50k miles ago. Basically what I am wondering is if an A4 over 200k miles is a lot worse to keep up with maintanance than one with say 160k. I plan on doing the repairs myself, but I would still rather the repairs be few and far between. My mom currently has a 1996 A4 2.8 with 216k miles on it and it has not had many problems at all, the only things I can think of are a steering rack at 180k, a bunch of control arms, a bunch of bearings, and one ABS sensor. Its all been simple stuff except the steering but even that wasn't bad. My dad does all repairs on it, he is an engineer.

What I know has been done is all typical maintanance as scheduled by the owner, a self proclaimed "car guy" and also the clutch and timing belt service at 150k.

So anyway, is it likely to be reliable and easy like my moms, or are they always breaking something at that point. Any other tips about me buying an A4 would be greatly appreciated as well, since I am sure there is plenty more to learn about the A4.

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:55 PM
2nd Gear

Just going off the milege and when the owner says he did the TB it's already almost due another one... The other fellas will give you more PACIFIC advice I'm sure

Old 04-01-2011, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

Reliability depends on how good or bad the previous owner kept up with the maintenance. It will def be do for a timing belt and I wouldn't even chance driving it much until you do the belt. If it is in perfect shape I'd say go for it. But if there is any little thing wrong move on because one problem always leads to another. Just be careful.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Whaaat?

Originally Posted by DOC_DEPALMA
Just going off the milege and when the owner says he did the TB it's already almost due another one... The other fellas will give you more PACIFIC advice I'm sure
The timing belt was last replaced at 150,000. Since when are timing belts due every 60,000 miles on a V6??? I thought that was on the inline 4s with tensioner issues!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by czum09
Reliability depends on how good or bad the previous owner kept up with the maintenance. It will def be do for a timing belt and I wouldn't even chance driving it much until you do the belt. If it is in perfect shape I'd say go for it. But if there is any little thing wrong move on because one problem always leads to another. Just be careful.
Ok, good to know. As for the timing belt I guess I forgot to mention it was done at 150,000 miles (I could have swore I said it but I guess I forgot) so that should be good for a while shouldn't it? And as for the condition he seems to have really cared for it, its in immaculate shape inside and out and he says he has done all maintenance religiously. I will try to post some pics...

Attached Thumbnails To buy or not to buy... An immaculate A4 but with 213k miles (as a first car :)-imag0138.jpg   To buy or not to buy... An immaculate A4 but with 213k miles (as a first car :)-imag0482.jpg   To buy or not to buy... An immaculate A4 but with 213k miles (as a first car :)-imag0483.jpg   To buy or not to buy... An immaculate A4 but with 213k miles (as a first car :)-imag0484.jpg  
Old 04-01-2011, 09:47 PM
2nd Gear

Terra cotta interior... That's not too common. And 5-speed. I like it. Quattro?

Old 04-01-2011, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DAS98A4
Terra cotta interior... That's not too common. And 5-speed. I like it. Quattro?
Yeah it pretty much has to be a manual for me, thats what I learned on and I like it... My whole family drives stick, my dads a car lover (german ones specifically) Also I was amazed when I saw the terra cotta, I am so used to tan/black 2-tone or black/black so I really like this unique color!

As for quattro I am almost sure it is because all audis in connecticut are especially since it has the cold weather package but I never asked so I'll send the guy an email and find out...

You know, I just realized that I literally assume every Audi is quattro because fronttrak is so uncommon here in the north!

EDIT: It says quattro on the dash, didn't even have to email the guy

Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear

Probably a Quattro in CT haha. Clear title, CEL's, wheel bearing, etc.?

Old 04-01-2011, 10:07 PM
2nd Gear

it says quattro on the dash... just an fyi

i like it. do it up.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Timing interval is different according to everyone you talk to. V6 car's should be done every 70k at most - don't dick around with this as it'll cost you your engine if it fails.

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy... An immaculate A4 but with 213k miles (as a first car :)