B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

buying stereo stuff...a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:13 PM
1st Gear
Default buying stereo stuff...a few questions.

So I have a 2001 a4 1.8t Quattro. It has the double din stereo, but I don't think its bose. It just says audi symphony on it. But it is ~4" tall. If I buy something say from crutchfield, is the kit they supply the right one? I also want to replace my front speakers, are polk's the way to go? Its the only thing Ive seen for 4". Thanks in advance

Old 03-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Default RE: buying stereo stuff...a few questions.

Crutchfield is very good with providing the correct adapters when you purchase from them. Not to mention, they're always free. As far as the front speakers go, if you're looking to put 4-inchers in, then the Polk DB400s would be the way to go. You could also move up a size, and go with 5.25" speakers, but you'd have to construct your own brackets in order to get them to mount inside the door.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:24 PM
1st Gear

Crutchfield is good, for adapters, but speakers come down to personal preference, the polk momo system isn't as deep as i like, but others love them. i would suggest going to best buy and trying out the display speakers, find the ones you like, and buy'em online for far cheaper. here is the site i always use for car audio www.millionbuy.com ,

Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 AM
1st Gear

thanks for the info guys.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:29 AM

Crutchfield is expensive man. You're better off doing research and finding steals on what you want, it'll save you a lot of time, and you get to gain quite a wealth of knowledge regarding electronics in your car!

Old 03-07-2008, 12:40 AM
2nd Gear

polk momos sound sweet and pioneer made a deck a couple of years ago that had red buttons that match the interior rather nice i think it was a deh-mp5800

Old 03-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Tech Guru

here is my question...... sorry for the thread jack

as i have not had amped speakers before....... i am about to put an upgraded h/u in my audi, i think

i do have bose, can i just put the deck in wire the speakers off it or do i need to do something else?

i have a 300 watt amp, can i run the stuff like normal, then run the wires to the speakers, like normal?

any help would be greatly appretiated

Old 03-07-2008, 08:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Leifer

Crutchfield is expensive man. You're better off doing research and finding steals on what you want, it'll save you a lot of time, and you get to gain quite a wealth of knowledge regarding electronics in your car!
Crutchfield is no more expensive than Best Buy, Circuit City, and the like. Sure, you can find stuff on e-bay that's cheaper (i know i have),BUT, the biggest drawback is that most, if not all, companies will not honor the warranty because you did not purchase them from an authorized dealer. (i know first-hand that Polk will not)

Sometimes it's worth the extra cheese, just for piece of mind. Not to mention, Crutchfield will almost always ship the stuff to you for free. I like Crutchfield because i can order from them, and get my shipment the very next day.

ORIGINAL: turbo kraut

here is my question...... sorry for the thread jack

as i have not had amped speakers before....... i am about to put an upgraded h/u in my audi, i think

i do have bose, can i just put the deck in wire the speakers off it or do i need to do something else?

i have a 300 watt amp, can i run the stuff like normal, then run the wires to the speakers, like normal?

any help would be greatly appretiated
You can just buy a wiring adapter for your car that will plug right into your HU. Shop around the net, i know they're out there, just don't have a direct link at the moment. If you go with an aftermarket HU, you should very easily be able to hook up your amp to your speakers. The new HU 'should' have preamp outputs on the back that will allow you to runRCA cables to the amp, and then you can simply run your speaker wires from the amp to your speakers. If it does not have a preamp output, or if it only has a subwoofer preamp output on the back, then you will need an in-line converter similar to this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ku3fa7J...aspx?i=142SLC4

Hope that helps. I'm not an audio expert -but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Old 03-07-2008, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

i ran a phatbox, a 12in sub and a 1000 watt amp through my stock headunit and had no problems and i love it! it looks really clean. you just need to make sure you have the proper harnesses and hi/low converters

Old 03-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: A4 Effort

You can just buy a wiring adapter for your car that will plug right into your HU. Shop around the net, i know they're out there, just don't have a direct link at the moment. If you go with an aftermarket HU, you should very easily be able to hook up your amp to your speakers. The new HU 'should' have preamp outputs on the back that will allow you to runRCA cables to the amp, and then you can simply run your speaker wires from the amp to your speakers. If it does not have a preamp output, or if it only has a subwoofer preamp output on the back, then you will need an in-line converter similar to this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ku3fa7J...aspx?i=142SLC4

Hope that helps. I'm not an audio expert -but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night
man i already have the h/u and it does have the pre-outs for 2 amps.... front/rear and one for sub

my question was can u hook up the h/u to my factory pre-amped, or do i need an inline type deal

also if i need a inline..... could i just run my aftermarket amp instead?

Quick Reply: buying stereo stuff...a few questions.