B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

buying stereo stuff...a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: buying stereo stuff...a few questions.

i would checkout Techronics.com

i just purchased a ton of stereo equipment through them for very inexpensive. one of the least expensive places on the net. They have just about every manufacturer of stereo equipment, and also have tech support if you need help. i definitely reccomend them.

as for your headunit, if you are using an aftermarket headunit, you can purchase a wiring harness specific for your car so that it will be direct plug and play. then just run your RCA's back to your amp, as well as the Remote wire, and you're good to go!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: turbo kraut

man i already have the h/u and it does have the pre-outs for 2 amps.... front/rear and one for sub

my question was can u hook up the h/u to my factory pre-amped, or do i need an inline type deal

also if i need a inline..... could i just run my aftermarket amp instead?
If your car is a non-bose vehicle, then there wouldn't be any pre-amped connections. Not sure i'm following you completely with what you're saying/trying to accomplish.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:47 PM

The rear speakers are 6.5" right?

Old 03-07-2008, 03:40 PM

^ correct. 6.5s in the rear deck, 4" in the door (at least for non-bose). Not sure what the Bose system offers

Old 03-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Tech Guru

my stereo is bose....... i know how to do stereo as i have done about 10-15 cars......not counting my s-10 that i did about 15 times

i know there is a wiring harness i can get.........

my question is really, and i will change the speakers if i have to, but doi need to? can i just hook up my h/u and be good to go? do i need to re wire it? do i need to wire the speakers to my amp?

i am not worried about my sub..... as that is like putting on underwear.... but do i need to do anything special since i have "powered" speakers in that they are all amped?

Old 03-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Site Moderator

if you have the symphony (non bose) system, your stock speakers are fine to run. you wont have to mess with rewiring them. just hook up the headunit and start rockin[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-08-2008, 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: turbo kraut

my question is really, and i will change the speakers if i have to, but doi need to? can i just hook up my h/u and be good to go? do i need to re wire it? do i need to wire the speakers to my amp?
I'm not really that familiar with the bose system.I would assume that as long as the stock bose amp is getting power, and can still be controlled by the new hu (that i don't know), it should work. I would think that the correct wiring adapter would address the new hu being able to do so by correctly matching up the wires from the car to the wires on the hu.

Whether you need to hook up your amp or not is personal choice/taste, i would imagine. I've heard some people are satisfied withthe bose system, and simply add a better sub to the setup. Other's aren't impressed with the system, and do a complete re-design.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: a4_2.8tuner

if you have the symphony (non bose) system, your stock speakers are fine to run. you wont have to mess with rewiring them. just hook up the headunit and start rockin[sm=icon_rock.gif]

what i wanna know is with this being the case, that i have bose...... amped......."powered" speakers, can i just hook up/wire up my new h/u and run the bose speakers? or do i need to change them?

Old 03-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: A4 Effort

I'm not really that familiar with the bose system.I would assume that as long as the stock bose amp is getting power, and can still be controlled by the new hu (that i don't know), it should work. I would think that the correct wiring adapter would address the new hu being able to do so by correctly matching up the wires from the car to the wires on the hu.

Whether you need to hook up your amp or not is personal choice/taste, i would imagine. I've heard some people are satisfied withthe bose system, and simply add a better sub to the setup. Other's aren't impressed with the system, and do a complete re-design.

i am semi-satisfied with them for now....i can change them later...... i think i will be selling the 10in fosgate subs and box and hooking up a single 10 or 12........ might go something a lil higher end, as this stuff was in the wifes car and she didn't like alot of bass....

Old 03-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Site Moderator

That reply you left was completely unnecessary.

i apologize if i didnt read that you already have bose and that you were the one who posted that question and not the OP. you are the one who thread jacked, so if you have a question you could have started your own thread pertaining to it.

im not sure what you're problem with me being a mod has to do with the response i gave, but if you have a problem with that, take it to PM

Quick Reply: buying stereo stuff...a few questions.