B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A/C draining Battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:37 AM
1st Gear
Default A/C draining Battery

Hi guys,
I have searched the forums, but not found a situation explained like this. I have a '96 A4 2.8, and when I turn on the AC, the battery drains. I have replaced the battery, and the alternator. I can start the car without the AC on and the gauge will show it at 13 ish but if I then turn on the Ac, not the fan mind you, but the AC will cause the gauge to drop just below 12. after about a week of this, I'll have to charge the battery or it'll get to low to start. Also, the headlights pull a heavy drain as well, and if I have to use both the AC and headlights, the gauge drops to almost 10. I'll end up charging the battery that night to be able to start in the morning. If I turn them both off, and drive, the gauge will slowly return to above 12, but not quite as high as it was when I started the car.
Any ideas where I could start? In addition to replacing the battery and alt. I have also had the alt bench tested.
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear

Is the belt slipping at all? Do you start loosing power steering?

Old 06-23-2013, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dallas09
No. I never notice any slippage, no change in steering at all.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

Check the obvious items... Is the battery in good shape? Did you have it load tested? Are your battery cable connections in good order (clean and tight)? Have you had the alternator tested? Most of the larger automotive stores can test it in the car. Let us know what you find.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:28 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tdepirro
Check the obvious items... Is the battery in good shape? Did you have it load tested? Are your battery cable connections in good order (clean and tight)? Have you had the alternator tested? Most of the larger automotive stores can test it in the car. Let us know what you find.

ok, after a year this is still happening. In the last week I have a new alternator in, the 120 amp Bosch, and just two days ago a new battery. so I know it's not the battery or alternator. If I do not run the A/C the Voltage stays up at the 14 mark, if I turn it on it will immediately drop to 13, then slowly drop to 12. I've also seen the drop to a lesser degree if I turn on the headlights.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi S6 2000

Originally Posted by Dallas09
Hi There,

I just read all the possible comments and problems. Before i check all the fuses i saw your comment about slipping belt.

I noticed the belt slipping and the powersteering pump making noice. It didn't do that before... Now my 100amp battery's in my audi s6 4.2l's dead in a day or 2.

Outside its freezing weather.

Anyone can comment? Thx!