Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

Battery keeps draining

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Default Battery keeps draining

I already posted this in the genral tech, but I figured I would try this also.

I bought this car a couple of weeks ago. It is a 1988 90 quattro. I drove about two hours to get the car, and drove it back home without any problems (except once just as it was getting dark, I turned my headlights on and my car started acting like it was going to die, and all of my dashlights went dark. so I turned off my headlights and it started running fine again, then a few miles later my dash lights came back on. so I tried my headlights again and they came on with no problems). I got the car home and I had not really driven it alot because I am only 15 and I don't have a lisence, however every couple of days I will drive it around the block a couple times. And a few days ago I drove it up my school (which was the furthest I had driven since I drove it home. And it made it there fine, and when I went to start it up and leave the battery was dead. So I had my friend come and jump start me, and it started right up. But before I could get out of the parking lot it died again. So I jumped it again and it would start right up but die after a few feet. So I towed it home. I re-charged the battery, and put it back in the car and it started right up, and I drove it for about 15-20 minuets, and my battery light would occasionally flash but it never died or anything .So I replaced my altenator because I thought that was the problem. After I got the new altenator on I drove it around again for like 15 minuets, and everything seemed fine. When I got it home I moved it a couple of times to wash it and stuff, and it kept starting right up. Then when I went to get in it after it had been sitting for about 2 hours the battery was dead. So I jumped it and it started, then a drove it around the block a few times, and came home. Then today when I got home from school my battery was dead again. Does anyone have any idea what is draining my battery? I also wanted to add the battery is only about a year old.
thanks
~kyle