B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Cam shft position sensor/cam chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Cam shft position sensor/cam chain tensioner

Recently replaced Cam shaft timing chain tensior, and service manual said that i would have a fault code after we replaced the tensioner. I bought a scanner to clear the fault codes, but don't know how to recalibrate the cam position sensor. Has someone else run into this problem and how did you take care of it. Do I have to take it to a dealer? Also I am positive that the cams are timed properly and the camshaft to crankshaft also, as I rechecked this numerous times. Any ideas would be appreciated as now the engine misfires on several cyl. and shows that camshaft pos. sensor is faulted.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:05 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dstrawn
Recently replaced Cam shaft timing chain tensior, and service manual said that i would have a fault code after we replaced the tensioner. I bought a scanner to clear the fault codes, but don't know how to recalibrate the cam position sensor. Has someone else run into this problem and how did you take care of it. Do I have to take it to a dealer? Also I am positive that the cams are timed properly and the camshaft to crankshaft also, as I rechecked this numerous times. Any ideas would be appreciated as now the engine misfires on several cyl. and shows that camshaft pos. sensor is faulted.
What year and engine A4?

What are the P0 codes are you getting?

In general, any engine sensor replacement in an A4 will require erasing the DTCs and following it up by setting readiness codes. You'll need a full functioning VAGcom for this. In general, you can't just ask a shop to do this... they'll want some time for diagnostics.

First, I would try resetting the ECU all together by unplugging the battery. Let it sit with both cables unplugged overnight. In the morning, plug it back in and see what happens. If the codes come back, you'll likely need to set readiness codes.

If that fails, you're likely looking at either a bad cam position sensor or bad crank position sensor.