B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

car turning over, but not starting!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:42 AM
1st Gear
Default car turning over, but not starting!!!

so i recently drained my car battery. put it on a charger for a couple of days, and reconnected it. the engine turns over quickly (all guages and lights work well) so i have plenty of electrical power, but the car doesn't start.
i tried listening for the fuel pump when i turn the key on, but don't hear anything.

should the fuel pump start with just the key on? or only while cranking?

is the relay suspect? or more likely the fuel pump?

also, i read that when you disconnect the battery, and then reconnect it, a code gets sent that prevents the car from starting, forcing you to go to a dealership. that sounds rediculous. is it true?

thanks

Micah

Old 10-01-2008, 03:08 AM
1st Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by mbertoli
so i recently drained my car battery. put it on a charger for a couple of days, and reconnected it. the engine turns over quickly (all guages and lights work well) so i have plenty of electrical power, but the car doesn't start.
i tried listening for the fuel pump when i turn the key on, but don't hear anything.

should the fuel pump start with just the key on? or only while cranking?

is the relay suspect? or more likely the fuel pump?

also, i read that when you disconnect the battery, and then reconnect it, a code gets sent that prevents the car from starting, forcing you to go to a dealership. that sounds rediculous. is it true?

thanks

Micah
motor details would help generally you should check your fuses first (since you messed with electrical)then check fuel pressure easiest way to check if your pump is working is disconnect your fuel filter and key on dont start count to 5 then key off and see if theres fuel if not reconnect line then check fp relay..

dont know about the last part never heard of that,also never worked on audi before,lol..
everything but...

Last edited by style; 10-01-2008 at 03:10 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 AM
4th Gear

Do a throttle body alignment first, then start it.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by style

never worked on audi before,lol..
Probably not a super duper idea to be telling this guy to disconnect his fuel filter if you've never worked on an Audi. He'd have to drop his gas tank a little to do that. It would be way easier to pop off the fuel rail.
I also have a feeling a TBA will do the trick. DBW engines don't like getting the juice cut off.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Probably not a super duper idea to be telling this guy to disconnect his fuel filter if you've never worked on an Audi. He'd have to drop his gas tank a little to do that. It would be way easier to pop off the fuel rail.
I also have a feeling a TBA will do the trick. DBW engines don't like getting the juice cut off.
better late then never,is there a fuel line that can be taken off the rail?