B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

central lock

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 07:45 AM
1st Gear
Default central lock

I'm having this issue with the vacuum pump for central locking. I've noticed during driving that pump is running randomly here and there, you can hear the buzzing sound from the trunk like it's preforming the lock/unlock operation but it's not, it's just buzzing periodically.It's not a constant buzz, just here an there but it can be pretty often.I had to disconnect it since it will drain my battery, and now i can't lock my trunk.The pump can preform unlock/lock operation so it's not dead or anything like that.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this problem?could an air leak, or that graphite part in the pump be the cause..?

Last edited by Maximus10; 06-11-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear

I'd block off each door connection one at a time and test the lock/unlock feature. If they all pass, then check the connections at the pump itself (actually, do that first and wiggle the lines as it's pumping - it might save you a ton of work). Also: unplug every harness from the pump, then plug them back in. After that, check the connection to the fuel door.

If none of that works, let me know, because I'm sure I'm forgetting a dozen other possibilities right now.

G/L

Old 06-13-2017, 08:06 AM
1st Gear

I'll try to mess with the connections in the pump itself.
As for other things I only have one vacuum line that goes from the pump.Mine's the same as the one on the picture

Old 06-14-2017, 11:10 AM
2nd Gear

Disconnect the pump and blow into the hose and see if the doors lock/unlock and also keep pressure. If that passes, suck on the hose and check for the same pass/fail. That will isolate or eliminate the entire vacuum system. Then you can focus on swapping the pump. If that doesn't work, then you know you have a switch problem (you could try disconnecting one switch at a time before you buy a new pump, to save money).

Old 06-15-2017, 04:48 AM
1st Gear

Thank for your help, I will try first to eliminate the vacuum system, but I'm little skeptical if i can generate that kind of pressure that can lock/unlock the door with blowing and sucking air.
What is the switch?

Old 06-15-2017, 10:11 AM
2nd Gear

My pleasure.

It's surprisingly easy to use the vacuum from your lungs (and I smoke). If your system is fine, you shouldn't have any problem using your lungs to (both) lock and unlock the entire system in one shot (each way).

When I say "switches", I'm talking about ANY switch that has the ability to activate the CLS. So any in-door switch(es), your key FOB. Basically anything you can think of that has the ability to activate the Central Locking System. Eliminate those one by one by unplugging one at a time long enough to eliminate/isolate it. Removing the batteries from you FOB will accomplish the same thing, but make sure you are only doing one thing at a time. Otherwise you won't be able to isolate your issue to one component.

G/L

Old 06-15-2017, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

nice, I will try that too, never would've thought of that

Old 06-16-2017, 11:42 AM
2nd Gear

All good.

Happy to help.

G/L

Old 08-18-2017, 08:24 AM
1st Gear

Sorry to come late with this, I've tested the vacuum system, I can only open and close the trunk just by blowing and sucking air, locks on other doors are not affected.Not sure if this the way it supposed to be since pump except from buzzing here and there on her own manages to open and close everything.Or it means that something is not right, like the leak in the system or similar.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:14 PM
2nd Gear

It sounds like (and I could be wrong) the system is working fine and the pump is shot. Because you can unlock/lock something with your lungs, that would mean everything works except the pump, i.e. just get a new pump. (My guess is the door locks are harder to do with your lungs than the trunk.

That being said, there is a possibility there's a hole or leak in the tubing between the pump and the door locks while there is no leak between the pump and the trunk, which is why you can unlock the trunk and not the doors. However that wouldn't explain the ability for your lungs to do the trunk and not the pump - therefore I say get a new CLP like the one in the picture in your second post. I've had to replace mine 3 times because they kept getting wet.

Quick Reply: central lock