B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

central lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 08:43 AM
1st Gear

I can buy a used one, but they are all very old who knows if the same problem would occur even if I replace it.
Frankly i'm not sure how this system works, my guess is that maybe the pump works for the trunk lock alone, and that the trunk lock somehow activates other door locks.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:13 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by elduderino200
It sounds like (and I could be wrong) the system is working fine and the pump is shot. Because you can unlock/lock something with your lungs, that would mean everything works except the pump, i.e. just get a new pump. (My guess is the door locks are harder to do with your lungs than the trunk.

That being said, there is a possibility there's a hole or leak in the tubing between the pump and the door locks while there is no leak between the pump and the trunk, which is why you can unlock the trunk and not the doors. However that wouldn't explain the ability for your lungs to do the trunk and not the pump - therefore I say get a new CLP like the one in the picture in your second post. I've had to replace mine 3 times because they kept getting wet.
+1 -ish.

Originally Posted by Maximus10
I can buy a used one, but they are all very old who knows if the same problem would occur even if I replace it.
Frankly i'm not sure how this system works, my guess is that maybe the pump works for the trunk lock alone, and that the trunk lock somehow activates other door locks.
I've had to replace mine at least 3 times also - and also because of the pump(s) being submerged in water, which is why I popped the grommet out of the bottom of that area. Problem solved.

On my car, you can unlock all of the doors by locking/unlocking the trunk w/the key, so you may be onto something if your lungs can open the trunk, but nothing else. I've never investigated it, but it seems perfectly logical that the trunk lock could be your problem. If there is a blockage, or a hose disconnected between the trunk lock and whatever comes next, that would explain everything. If you can find and fix that, your pump should begin working correctly again, but like elduderino200 said, you may still need a new pump anyway. I literally have like 5 of them.

G/L

Old 08-22-2017, 06:20 AM
1st Gear

ok thanks for the help guys I'll see what i can do