B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

clunking in the rear while under load

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:43 AM
1st Gear
Default clunking in the rear while under load

This is on a 99 A4 Quattro Automatic.

I noticed last night when I was backing the car up my driveway a somewhat of a clunking noice when you
stepped on the gas. It wasnt there when you just let the idle move the car, only under load. Felt as if something
was rolling around in the truck(that kind of noice). Driving wise it felt fine and even with the noice it seemed to
drive fine just the noice was there. I parked the car and after several hours had to run out to the store.
I checked the trunk and it wasn't anything in the trunk. I started to drive the car and just for giggles tried it
in on even pavement. when you applied the gas pedal in reverse it would move fine but you couldn't deff. feel and hear a clunking.
The sounds moves with the wheels moving if that makes since.

I drove down the road into a parking lot to try and figure out the troubled area. After putting it in reverse a few more times with the noice
it now will also do it in drive if the gas is applied or a certain speed is reached.

you can feel/heaer it by the automatic shifter or in the middle of the back seat.
When in drive it resembles like a card being in a bicycle tire and hitting the spokes gets louder and faster as the wheels turn more.

Still drives fine as far as the engine is concerned.

I looked shortly under car and I dont see anything bound up or leaking.

I'm going to see how the fluid is in the rear end and add some if needed, but it isnt leaking.

What would cause such noice/feeling?

Bad ujoint? Rearend? bad rear axles?

It started with just in reverse when applying the gas when under load (not idle driving the car) but now is also there when you put it in drive.

No check engine light is on.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,

Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 AM
1st Gear

I've searched a bit and seems most folks have issues with the center driveshaft carrier going bad. The rubber part and it causes vibration. I'm not experiencing vibration more of a clunk.

Figured I'd post that.

Thoughts?

Old 09-17-2010, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

mine does that too... >.<