B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Replaced rear shocks and sway bar links, now hearing clunking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Administrator
Default Replaced rear shocks and sway bar links, now hearing clunking?

Hey fellas.

Over the weekend I replaced the rear shocks and sway bar links on my avant. The shocks were original with 130k miles, long since blown out. The sway bar links were also original, and the "updated" plastic version. I replaced them with heavy duty metal sway bar links. I replaced everything, torqued everything to spec, and now I'm hearing a clunk. Happens when I accelerate, slow down, or go over a bump; pretty much anything that causes the suspension to move. I can reproduce it by pushing up and down on the back bumper.

Could this be caused by not torquing the upper control arm and/or sway bar link bolts with the weight of the car on the suspension? I torqued everything with the car on jack stands.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:16 PM
2nd Gear

Is the noise isolated to one side or both sides?

I had a clunk when I first replaced my rear sway bar links because I hadn't fully tightened the passenger side. Driving one of the rear wheels over a speed bump causes the bar to twist and the I'd hear the clunk. If both wheels went over the bump at the same no clunk.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Chris, how about the sway bar body bushings? Did you replace those two body mounts for the bar as well as the end links? If not, since they're OEM and worn out, forcing more torque on the bar from the metal end links could be causing them to squirm and allow the bar to shift/clunk. Another happy thought - with all the newfound goodies out back, possibly when the suspension responds to input, it's torquing the driveline back down the axles and allowing the diff to move due to a worn diff mount...?

Old 04-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bshusted
Is the noise isolated to one side or both sides?

I had a clunk when I first replaced my rear sway bar links because I hadn't fully tightened the passenger side. Driving one of the rear wheels over a speed bump causes the bar to twist and the I'd hear the clunk. If both wheels went over the bump at the same no clunk.
So far I've only heard it on the driver's side, I'll attempt to recreate it on the passenger's side today.

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Chris, how about the sway bar body bushings? Did you replace those two body mounts for the bar as well as the end links? If not, since they're OEM and worn out, forcing more torque on the bar from the metal end links could be causing them to squirm and allow the bar to shift/clunk. Another happy thought - with all the newfound goodies out back, possibly when the suspension responds to input, it's torquing the driveline back down the axles and allowing the diff to move due to a worn diff mount...?
Didn't replace those, hadn't really thought of that to be honest. I checked the trans mounts when I was replacing the test pipe, but I didn't check the prop shaft bearing or any of the rear diff mounts. I'll do that this weekend, thanks for the tip. I'm hoping it's just a loose bolt someplace and not a busted mount.

Thanks for the tips fellas, helpful as always!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Administrator

And the winner is bshusted! The lower sway bar link bolt had another turn or turn and a half left in it. Thanks for the tip! I award you 1000 internet points and Ill buy you a beer should we ever meet in person. Thanks man!

Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
And the winner is bshusted! The lower sway bar link bolt had another turn or turn and a half left in it. Thanks for the tip! I award you 1000 internet points and Ill buy you a beer should we ever meet in person. Thanks man!
No prob. Strange that I had the exact same problem.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Chris, since you'll see me soon, I'll take his beer. Bshusted, I'll toast you.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:32 PM
2nd Gear

Fair enough. I'll let you guys keep the carbonated ****.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:56 AM
Legal Moderator

i'm too late to the party. '''' (those are tears of sadness)

on a completely unrelated note, i'm currently drinking budweiser black crown. and enjoying it. its a definate recommendation. pretty smooth overall with a decent 6% kick to it

Last edited by redline380; 04-24-2013 at 02:58 AM. Reason: beer edit
Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Jeremy, I think we both know that many, MANY beers will be had at the spring meet.

No prob. Strange that I had the exact same problem.
Maybe not all that strange, it sounds like we both made the exact same mistake. In my case that bolt was the very last one I tightened before I put the wheels back on, and I was so excited to drive the car afterwards that I didn't double check it. Lesson learned. Thanks again for the tip!

Fair enough. I'll let you guys keep the carbonated ****.
Haters gon' hate

Originally Posted by redline380
i'm too late to the party. '''' (those are tears of sadness)
I know that feel bro.

on a completely unrelated note, i'm currently drinking budweiser black crown. and enjoying it. its a definate recommendation. pretty smooth overall with a decent 6% kick to it
What would you compare that black crown to? I've been meaning to try it.