B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

clutch problem?

Old 11-16-2011, 06:43 PM
1st Gear
Default clutch problem?

My clutch had been slipping for a while, when ever I hit boost I would hear this loud whine and the clutch would slip. I just finished replacing it today, with a valeo clutch kit with the lighter flywheel. I took it for a test drive and its still slipping and I still hear the whine. The only time it won't slip is when I gun it. Its not slipping as much as before but I still hear that whine. Does anyone have any idea why its still slipping or what thatt whine is from? I will try and get a video on here as soon as I can.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:31 PM

Did you replace it yourself? How did your old clutch disc look? When I replaced mine about 2.5 weeks ago the old clutch disk was getting to the point where the rivets were hitting the flywheel/pressure plate (it would slip under full throttle in 4th/5th gears). Also, did you look over your slave cylinder for abnormalities?

Old 11-16-2011, 08:03 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I replaced it my self I took manual trans this year so I did it in class. Other than the boot popping out on me the slave cylinder was fine I was able to slide the boot back in. My old clutch disc was worn down all the way te the rivets. Mine used to slip in all gears when ever I hit boost.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Wondering if your rear main seal is leaking and wetting the disk - that'd cause it to slip no matter what you do.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:39 PM
1st Gear

When I pulled the trans out, and the flywheel everything was dry. No signs of leak anywhere. Im going to take it easy for a while maybe 500 miles see if it needs to be broken in or something. Ill try to get a vid of the whine soon. Other than that i cant think of anything of why it would still slip, I mean im pretty sure i dont have that much horsepower on the car.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:36 AM

It shouldn't need to break in like that. I installed the exact same clutch/flywheel 2.5 weeks ago and it never slipped on me. A new clutch shouldn't slip at all with the pedal fully released.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:53 PM
1st Gear

Clutch Whine - YouTube

clutch one 1 - YouTube

here is a couple of vids where you can hear the whine.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

Anyone have any idea? I'm starting to think the whine isn't my clutch maybe something wrong with the waste gate, or the trans.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear

uneducatedly, i blame the pressure plate, or flywheel.

mostly because the pressure plate issues tend to come up rather often when i hear anything about our clutch.
normally i with other cars, i see "u need a new clutch" with our cars i tend to see "my pressure plate shattered" but maybe its just warped?

Last edited by NHolzschuh; 11-18-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:47 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NHolzschuh
uneducatedly, i blame the pressure plate, or flywheel.

mostly because the pressure plate issues tend to come up rather often when i hear anything about our clutch.
normally i with other cars, i see "u need a new clutch" with our cars i tend to see "my pressure plate shattered" but maybe its just warped?
I just replaced the clutch a couple days ago, new pressure plate, new disc and new flywheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: clutch problem?