B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Codes, Codes, and more Codes...and no boost

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:55 PM
2nd Gear
Exclamation Codes, Codes, and more Codes...and no boost

2001 A4 1.8tq Tiptronic
So here's the codes I've got so far:
p0420 - Bad Cat
p0103 - Bad MAF
p0411 - Secondary Air Pump leak/not working properly
p0172 - Running too Rich
p0011 - This has to deal with the cam and this is what I found it could be:
Incorrect camshaft timing
Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve
control solenoid system
Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber
Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)

So....I just recently put in a K04 Turbo. Here is the list of performance mods I've done so far.
Open Intake w/heatshield
ATP Test Pipe
Cincy Diode Mod
MBC (15psi)
FMIC
Greddy type S BOV (recirculated)

Here's the problems I'm having at the moment.
1. I have a clicking/ticking noise when I first start the car. It will go away if I give the car even just a little bit of gas. Sometimes it happens at idle but not always. I usually can put some stabilizer in and it will usually quiet it, but ever since the new turbo it doesn't seem to help much and now it happens more frequently at idle. I'm not sure what it is because it will go away with a little bit of throttle. Any ideas?
2. I have no boost. I was driving my car home from work, stopped at a stop light, went to go and nothing. I have a boost gauge and it was reading around 10vac (AC was running) and it will go to 0psi and that's it. I can't even get the turbo to spool it seems. Normally I can atleast hear it wind up a little at idle. Is it possible my wastegate it staying open? How can I tell what is going on with the wastegate?
I've tried a boost leak tester and it sounds like it is coming from the wastegate area, that's why I thought that it might be the culprit. Any input on anything would be great. Normally I'm pretty good with troubleshooting but this one has me stumped. Other than the ticking and no boost, the car was running fine. It never stalls, RPM never jump around, everything worked.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:57 PM
2nd Gear

Oh yeah, my secondary air pump was removed. The tube that went to the EGR valve (which im getting a block plate for, but that's another thread with some questions...) is capped. I've ran it capped and uncapped and it seems to make no difference at all.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:22 AM
2nd Gear

bbuummpp

Old 08-17-2010, 06:37 PM
2nd Gear

wow no one?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Site Moderator

The cat, maf, and rich codes could all point to having a brick sitting in your exhuast/ a non-working turbo. Without the airbox being in you should be able to feel the wg arm. The wg arm on my 97 was snapped and I've heard of it happening before.

The clicking/ticking at idle could be a broken wastegate arm flapping around, a low oil pressure problem, or the cam chain tensioner. You can't pinpoint where the sound comes from with the hood up?

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 08-17-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:55 PM
2nd Gear

Its coming from the back on the motor...could it be something other than a cam chain tensioner? How can a turbo just stop working? I don't make any clanking noise or anything. I checked the wastegate arm and it seems to be still intact. I did some reading and I took off my manifold, got new gaskets, and re tightened them starting from the inside and working my way to the outside. My knuckles can't take any more abuse for me to finish tonight, but I'll tackle it after work tomorrow and update. I really hope that the turbo isn't bad considering I just got it. Hoping it is just an "elbow grease" kinda job...

Old 08-18-2010, 01:26 PM
2nd Gear

UPDATE: So I put on new gaskets on the manifold to engine, manifold to turbo, and turbo to test pipe. The problem still continues and I am unable to make any kind of boost. My wastegate arm is not broken, my MBC is hooked up correctly, and the motor is making any out of the ordinary sounds. My turbo still doesn't sound like it is spooling. Also, I noticed that when I turn the car off, my boost gauge needle is slow to reset to zero. I don't know if that means anything, but I thought I'd throw it in there. I am at a loss. Oh yeah, I check the shaft and there is no play and it spins freely. I am at my wits end with this!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Site Moderator

Leaky gaskets wouldn't cause 0 boost. The vac on your boost gauge slowly decreasing after you kill the engine is normal. Do you still have your N75? Try putting it back in and see what happens. 0 boost has got to mean the wg isn't closing which would suggest that either the wg spring, arm, or flapper is broken. If it was limp mode, you'd have at least some boost. If it was a massive leak, the engine would be running real rough if at all.

I don't know if this will help, but this is my turbo with the broken arm. It'll at least give you some perspective. Depending on how you felt for the arm, it could still feel solid depending on where you grabbed it.
Name:  turbo001.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  79.1 KB

This is the inside flapper. Notice there is circlip that goes between the flapper and flapper linkage. Mine was missing this, which caused the wg arm to bind and eventualy snap.
Name:  turbo007.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  32.4 KB

Fixed
Name:  turbo002.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  74.2 KB

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 08-18-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:55 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, the engine isn't running rough at all. I am going to..ugh...pull the turbo again and see what else I can find. Could it be that I didn't put the nuts on the wastegate arm in the right place?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

well no help here but i hope you can figure it out i have the same problem but my in hg is 20 not 10 and it will go 0.00 boost but i dont have check engine light

Quick Reply: Codes, Codes, and more Codes...and no boost