B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Coil Pack/Valve Cover Gasket questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Default Coil Pack/Valve Cover Gasket questions

The previous owner of my Audi has replaced 1 coil pack, He has 3 brand new ones left but didnt change them out while he had the engine opened up for some reason.. my question is how do you know when you need to replace the coil packs?

Also, I'm pretty sure it needs a valve cover gasket, You can smell the burning oil in the front passenger side of the engine bay, but cannot usually see the smoke, previous owner said it will probably need replaced so he included the valve gasket and the 3 leftover coilpacks in the sale of the car.

How can I tell if either of these needs replaced? Are there any symptoms besides misfiring? Can bad gas mileage be a result of either of these needing replaced? I just filled up today and calculated that I got 19.8 mpg. I used 89 octane gas. I consider it a little low considering I drive relatively light-footed, although it was predominantly suburban/city driving, and did screw around in the snow a little bit .. but it shouldnt affect it that much should it?

Old 02-20-2010, 03:51 PM
1st Gear

I don't know if this helps at all, but Audi has a service campaign for the coil packs right now... you should call the audi dealer and have them check your vin #...... I just had mine done this morning, it's free btw.

Good luck

Old 02-21-2010, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

So I am pretty surprised that no one chimmed in.... I just re-read your post. First thing I recommend is never put anything less than 91 octane gas in your car. Next thing is, figure out where the oil is leaking from (if it is in the front of the engine, it should be pretty obvious, especially if it is the front of the valve cover gasket). If it is the valve cover gasket, replace or have it replaced.... the oil will be leaking down where the timing belt / tensioners, etc are located........ you don't want oil there. As for your mileage issue, I don't know. I haven't calculated my mileage before, I know it is better than my Lexus and that makes me happy enough... City driving is always bad mileage though. If you had misfires, your check engine light should come on to warn you and you would most likely had drivability issues (poor idle, stutter, etc.) not just poor mileage.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by jemrey81
So I am pretty surprised that no one chimmed in.... I just re-read your post. First thing I recommend is never put anything less than 91 octane gas in your car. Next thing is, figure out where the oil is leaking from (if it is in the front of the engine, it should be pretty obvious, especially if it is the front of the valve cover gasket). If it is the valve cover gasket, replace or have it replaced.... the oil will be leaking down where the timing belt / tensioners, etc are located........ you don't want oil there. As for your mileage issue, I don't know. I haven't calculated my mileage before, I know it is better than my Lexus and that makes me happy enough... City driving is always bad mileage though. If you had misfires, your check engine light should come on to warn you and you would most likely had drivability issues (poor idle, stutter, etc.) not just poor mileage.
Ive found where the oil is/was leaking from, it was the front passenger side of the engine block, on the gap in the engine that runs parralel to the metal heat shield. It burned visible smoke for about 5 minutes when I went to look at it becuase it had sat so long, but i have not checked it for about 5 days, and it has no shown any signs of leaking since I saw it smoking oil when i first test drove it. I'm obviosuly not misfiring or i would know, There is no visible oil leaks, im just wondering how crucial and immediately this should be taken care of becuase I'm on an extremely tight budget during the winter months.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:45 PM

I have some oil burning smell coming out of my motor and I even smell it when I turn the heat on. I know I have to replace the head cover gasket. I am disappointed that I can't find directions on how to replace the head cover gasket on a 1997 Audi A4 2.8 quattro. Any ideas any one? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Old 02-26-2010, 04:04 PM

If your engine was misfiring your cel (check engine light) would be on and blinking. Always run premium fuel in your tank, the highest available in your area. Detonation and build up can result in burning low octane fuel. Jeremy81 is right...Audi has an active recall on coil packs. Have the dealer run your vin and see if your car qualifies...then you get new packs installed for free, then you can just sell the ones you currently have. I have the same year and motor/trans set up that you do, and 20mpg is pretty consistent for my car. It will achieve 30mpg if i run the entire tank on the freeway. Hope this helps and good luck

Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

runmya4 what are you talking about headcover gasket lol im sure you mean the valve cover gasket but anyway if you have a hard time identifying the correct name for the part you need to replace if i were you id just take it to a shop... no offense