B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Considering 2001 1.8Tqt

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:37 AM
1st Gear
Default Considering 2001 1.8Tqt

I'm looking for an AWD car and don't have a lot of money. I went to a dealership to look at a Subaru the other day, and they had a 2001 1.8Tqt. AFAICT it's a base model (although it has heated seats). 144K miles, a few scrapes and dents but nothing major. Took it for a test drive and it felt solid, although there was a strange noise coming from the right front wheel (sounded like a wheel bearing). When we got back from the test drive, I popped the hood and there was some oily smoke coming out. The dealership said they'd replace the wheel bearing and the valve cover gasket (as well as "anything else they found")at no charge.

My question is, what would be a fair price for this car? They're asking $5500, I'm thinking closer to $5000. I was told that the timing belt and coil packs had been done. It's a small dealership, and the owner's son/mechanic is an Audi mechanic for the Audi dealership down the road. He's taking it to the Audi dealership to do the work. They claim the Carfax is clean, although I haven't seen it yet.

Thoughts, advice? I really like Audis (my wife used to have a '99 A6 Avant), but I can't afford to have an unreliable car. I'm thinking that with 144K on the clock the car should be over the first hump of the bathtub curve, but when does the second hump start?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Administrator

welcome to AF!

I'll try to answer as many questions as best I can without rambling, here goes:

When you say "base model", the 1.8T was just that at the time. It did not come with many of the options on the 2.8 like leather, chrome window trim, etc. and so-forth. Well done finding one with heated seats, I wish mine were so lucky! What kind of noise was coming from the right front that you say it sounded like a wheel bearing? 144k miles is prime mileage for wheel bearings, control arms, that sort of thing. If they offered to fix that stuff for free i would certainly accept, but make sure they don't miss anything. Push down on all four corners while the car is in the lot. Control arms/TRE's will often squeak or groan when the suspension moves if they're on their way out.

As for the smoke, I would make very sure the oil was leaking from the valve cover and not the turbo or an oil feed/return line. Valve cover gasket jobs are one thing, seized turbos are something else. Also I would *definitely* look at the carfax before signing anything. Keep in mind they must show you if you ask for it. Along that same train of thought, don't take anyone's word that the timing service has been done. If you don't see records confirming this, assume it hasn't and plan on doing it ASAP. You should plan on another $1500 for this at least, less if you DIY.

With the mileage and condition, $5k would be my upper limit. When you're doing your final inspection of the car, start nitpicking about stuff you see. I think you should be able to talk him down a little more even.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-15-2010, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

What kind of noise was coming from the right front that you say it sounded like a wheel bearing?
It was kind of a low-pitched moaning, varied with speed, seemed to get louder in left turns. I listened while I lightly applied the brakes, but it didn't seem to change, so I don't think it was the brakes. I've changed them before, but only in RWD cars, so I was afraid it could be a big deal with the Quattro.

Thanks for the info about the control arms, ISTR that they said something about those being done/new, but I'll definitely check it out the next time I'm there. That and the timing belt. I have to watch that in my current car too, but at least the A4 doesn't need to have it replaced every 40K...

Old 12-15-2010, 02:16 PM
2nd Gear

It does sound like a wheel bearing. But you're gonna be in for a lot of other repairs if things haven't been done.

For example, you need to make sure the timing belt was done recently.
You need to find out if the turbocharger has ever been rebuilt/replaced.

etc.