B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Control Arm Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Control Arm Question

I need to replace all of my front CAs so i am gonna buy a kit and DIY. I have read the DIYs and think i can handle it, but I was just curious if there are any special things I should watch out for, other than the pinch bolt? Also, how should i make sure i get the proper angle on the uppers, or is it not that big a deal? TIA

Old 09-21-2009, 07:28 PM
3rd Gear

It was recommended to me to take the whole assembly out as one piece rather than picking everything apart. This made the job a lot easier to work with. Basically unbolt everything up top and everything on the bottom and the wiggle the whole assembly out. It'll save you a headache, trust me.

As far as the proper angles on the uppers....I believe you are talking about tightening everything down under load? I jacked the car up to "ride height" (pre-measured before of course) and tightened everything down. It's been 6 months and have had no issues.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 PM
3rd Gear

I forgot to state above......leave plenty of time!!!! Take your time and everything will work out. I dedicated a whole weekend to the job and got the CA's done in a day (about 6 hours with breaks) Total job took a little longer as I was replacing the springs, struts, rotors, calipers and bearings.

If you try to do the job in a tight time constraint you'll rush and then run into issues. The AudiWorld DIY is a great guide to go by, it's what I used and had no issue.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, I know its going to take awhile so I'm prepared for that. By whole assembly you mean hub, uprights, and struts? I know to tighten everything under load, but there doesn't have to be a certain degree of angle from the strut plate to the top of the uprights? I just want to make sure so I don't mess anything up.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:50 PM
3rd Gear

Yup the whole kit and kaboodle. Others might say it's unnecessary, but I did and it worked out well for me. I'm not certain about there being a proper angle....maybe someone else can field that matter. Like I said above, I followed the AudiWorld DIY and everything is fine so you should be good.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:17 AM
1st Gear

Cool, I guess I wont worry about it then. Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:17 AM
1st Gear

yeah i just bought the whole 12 peice front control arm kit for my b5 i can get you one for 500 plus shipping. let me know.

its everything. uppers, lowers, tie rod ends, bolts, its pimp.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Does it include sway links? What brand is it? Where are you located?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:50 PM
3rd Gear

you can get them from Blauparts.com for $470 shipped and I guarantee you get the parts in 2 days or less.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Administrator

I know the FCP Groton kit includes all the arms, both front swaybar end links, and new hardware. I'd assume the Blauparts kit does too.

Quick Reply: Control Arm Question