B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Control Arms??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Control Arms??

Hey, i have a 2000 Audi A4 2.8 with about 105,000 miles. I noticed a knocking or clunking coming from the front of the car but just when going over bumps at lower speeds. I lifted the car up and tested the control arms by shaking them, and nothing moved and appears that they are fine. Is it normal for a small knocking when going over bumpy roads, and the road that i noticed it on was stone?? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

i have the same problem with the front left side of my car
i was wondering the same time
so if anybody knows not to steal your thread but id like to know too

Old 08-12-2008, 11:00 PM
1st Gear

I have no idea what it could be. I drive on the turnpike back and forth from college to home which is about 170 miles one way and it doesnt happen on highways even if I hit a bump at high speeds. I have an appointment to have it serviced at the end of the month so I am going to see what they say but I just want a heads up if it is something major or not.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:11 PM
3rd Gear

A friend I work with is selling a complete front control arm kit (minus the drivers side lower front control arm). The only control arm that he used out of the complete kit was the driver's side front lower control arm. He has the full passenger side, and driver side uppers and lower rear control arm. He also has the sway bar links, all the new nuts and bolts (including pinch bolts), and I believe tie rod ends too. He installed the one control arm, but then traded his car in, so he's looking to give you a deal on his almost complete kit.

Where are you located? He's in Connecticut, so he only wants about $250 (neg?) plus shipping cost, and it's a great quality FCP Groton kit. The kit costs about $498 for everything, and I think it's all Meyle/Febi OEM parts. No cheap China parts that some Ebay stores sell.
Let me know. PM me and I'll try to set it up for you.

Last edited by Bogie; 08-13-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

So you think that it is a control arm? Because when i shake the wheel when it is jacked up there is nothing moving and no noises.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Site Moderator

It won't happen with the car in the air. Push down on each corner of the car. If you hear a squeak like two balloons rubbing together, at least on arm is bad.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:34 AM

When I had my car in because I was having steering problems, I told them to take a look at EVERYTHING. I'm one of those people, that if something goes wrong, I want you to look at EVERYTHING and fix it ALL. So, when he told me my control arms were bad, at first I didn't believe it, but when he showed me.. (car was in the air) he grabbed the arms and could move them.. So, when you say that you can't move them when the car is in the air, I'm not sure thats 100% true. According to him, and to my sights, lol I saw him move them. Also, that is a KILLER deal on a control arm kit. I paid just under 2,000usd to have all of my tie rods and control arms fixed. It came out to like 1888 with labor and parts. I would suggest getting them checked out ASAP, as he told me to get it replaced ASAP. Good luck to you!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:15 AM
1st Gear

I was just wondering if it would be cheaper to just press out the old bushing on the control arm and pop a new one in rather than replace the whole control arm.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Site Moderator

They don't always move or make a sound when the car is lifted. You can always hear something if you press down on the car though.

For the rears, it will be cheaper to swap the bushings. The fronts can not be pressed in though.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:48 PM
1st Gear
Question Difference

Is the difference in being able to replace bushings in the rear & front related to the control arms being made of different materials? I'm assuming the fronts are aluminum and the rear possibly steel.

Quick Reply: Control Arms??