B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

couple questions on manual tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:55 PM

Yeh, I've never heard of anyone downshifting into first!? Audi's are so smooth too when using second gear from a roll. Other cars are a little testy with second gear rolls and will buck a little and then it is better to slow your roll close to a stop and go into first.

Also, dumb question but you are trying to downshift into 1st so I don't feel bad asking... You do let off the gas when you switch gears right???

Old 10-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Legal Moderator

yah im not a complete dumb ***! i know how to shift properly by letting off the gas completely and NO i dont downshift to first. its like when im rolling up to the driveway in third with the clutch down, pop it in neutral, come almost to a complete stop and then i put it in first to get up the driveway. i really think something is f'ed up cause its seemed to have gotten worse in the last couple of days. sometimes there is a lot of resistance when shifting in but espeacially downshifting. im going to change the fluid tomorrow evening and i will get back. i hope it helps.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by nmocci
Redline just make sure you have the special socket you need to take off the fill plug... If you drain the oil and then find out you dont have the fill plug socket your def. gonna be screwed lol.
duely noted! from what i know its either that special one or just a hex wrench so im hoping for the hex... but ill take a look see tomorrow

Old 10-21-2008, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

Out of the two manuals ive had they've both done that. Its probably just the synchros. Your pressing in the clutch from third and then putting it into N. The car obviosly doesnt want you to go from third to first. Try letting out the clutch as someone stated earlier, then pressing it back in and putting it into gear.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:58 AM
Legal Moderator

o yah forgot to mention tried that. it seems a hair better but that resistance is still there. it seems like you guys think i dont know how to shift or something. i know how to shift just fine! my question as stated is i am wondering if the resistance i am feeling while just before locking into the next gear is normal or not. i dont know if its just an audi thing or what but every other manual i have drive has been smoother shifting into the next gear. i have had a couple buddies who drove it mention this as well but we will see how the fluid swap goes...

Old 10-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Site Moderator

Yes all manual trannys in all cars have resistance as you are pushing it into gear right before it goes into gear. It's going to feel more notchy/less smooth in a higher mileage car. Replacing your fluid should help.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:19 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hiwords
...going straight to neutral will save you gas...
my friend uses this argument whenever i downshift, however after puting in my wideband O2 and fooling around with vag-com, when the car is in gear and your foot off the gas, the O2 sensor pegs at full lean and vagcom says that its cutting fuel. this makes sense because the momentum of the car is keeping the engine from stalling. if you pull it into neutral and the car goes back to idle, it adds fuel to keep it around 14.7:1 and to keep it idleing.

so my argument to this is that you actualy save gas by putting it into gear because if your not on the pedal, the ECU is cutting the fuel. if you are idleing, its adding fuel. i just wonder to what extent its cutting it, is it completely shutting off the injectors? or is it just giving a tiny tiny bit of fuel that the O2 sensor cant measure above 22.5:1

Old 10-22-2008, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

It cant be cutting it off completely, you need something to cumbust in the cylinder or it will stall.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Site Moderator

The difference between your mpg at idle and what you are talking about is sorta trivial. My other argument is there is less stress on drivetrain while in neutral.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:45 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
it does it in pretty much every gear besides fifth. its pretty smooth there. although it does have a few on it, almost up to 118 now but i got what i thought was a kick *** deal on it so i picked it up (little over a month now). i am going to change tranny fluid on wednesday cause its my next day off of school and work but when down shifting, if the r's are matched perfectly its downshifts nicely, except when going into first. first is always a bitch unless completely stopped. i just thought it was weird. i have never driven a standard tranny that was this hard to get into gear. i have missed my next gear when accelerating hard more than once cause i think it will go in and it doesn't
im at like 136k miles and mine still shifts REALLLLY smooth still so idk maybe clutch itself

Quick Reply: couple questions on manual tranny