B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Cruise Control, AC, and more

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 01:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Cruise Control, AC, and more

I cannot get my glove compartment out! This one (98 a4) seems different than the pictures. ONLY 2 bolts are visible (after taking off end panel) How do I access the top and bottom screws? Do I remove the trim for the whole front passenger side?

AC stop cooling me 2 months ago. Worked wonderfully before, but would squeak when at idle. ???

Timing Belt was replaced at 100k at dealership (says records) Currently at 166k.. I'm about to dive into this project, which vendor should I choose for replacement parts?

Looking for replacement driver's seat, it is torn too bad to use the seat heater.

Moon roof will not slide back, but will open in the rear to vent.

I'm looking for answers.. If you need some, I have done some work to this beautiful machine already, just ask.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:09 PM
2nd Gear

Glove box: Did you push the left side in so it passes the "stopper" then drops all the way down? I took it out a while back and I remember getting frustrated until I found out to do that then all the screws were obvious.

AC: need oil for the compressor? Is the AC squeaking or the belt?

all I know, good luck

Old 10-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Squeaking at idle is likely caused by the belt or tensioner, start by replacing the belt. If the AC no longer blows cold it may need to be recharged, take it to an AC shop to have them test for leaks as well.

I have installed two Blauparts timing belt kits and been happy with them, no problems so far.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:38 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Goldsmith.alex

AC stop cooling me 2 months ago. Worked wonderfully before, but would squeak when at idle. ??? - Have ASE A/C tech check charge.

Timing Belt was replaced at 100k at dealership (says records) Currently at 166k.. I'm about to dive into this project, which vendor should I choose for replacement parts? - I just had the "ECS Ultimate" kit done on mine and I love it! Complete, high quality German timing & accessory belts, water pump & tensioner pulley kit at a great price.

Looking for replacement driver's seat, it is torn too bad to use the seat heater. - Junk yard, classifieds (here), CL, or upholstery shop.

Moon roof will not slide back, but will open in the rear to vent. - Search for the "Sunroof switch fix mod". It's around here somewhere. It should fix this problem. It fixed mine.

I'm looking for answers.. If you need some, I have done some work to this beautiful machine already, just ask.
Answers above.

GL