B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

cup holder

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

The cup holders aren't good, and prolly should be removed. hmm....maybe i'll try and mod something up as a replacement for the "cup relaxers".

Old 09-07-2009, 09:16 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jmgrande
YOU WILL CRACK THIS TRIM PIECE IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL IN TAKING IT OFF! YOU SHOULD HAVE THE CORRECT TOOLS FOR THIS.

I believe you also have the wood trim, this WILL crack and it is pretty expensive to replace. You've been warned.
False. I've pulled it off about 430 times now. The only thing that will break is the clips. Jbweld will fix that. They are made of pretty high grade plastic. And no I have black trim wood is gross. And from dealer it's like 40$ eBay it's like 5$ just need to know where to look. And there really is no tool to pull it off.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:30 PM
5th Gear

95-97 Passat cupholders work great, I used them in my old A4 for a couple years. It looks like they're hard to find now though. A decent alternative would be www.ultimatecupholders.com

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=126316

Old 09-07-2009, 11:55 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Jc61990
False. I've pulled it off about 430 times now. The only thing that will break is the clips. Jbweld will fix that. They are made of pretty high grade plastic. And no I have black trim wood is gross. And from dealer it's like 40$ eBay it's like 5$ just need to know where to look. And there really is no tool to pull it off.
I'm glad you can count. Yes, the clips break, deeming the plate useless. And Jbweld, really man? Such a hack job way to go about fixing things. I'll put that right next to my Mighty Mend It, Kaboom, and Comfort Wand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crfGXmxJ1vM

I believe pullacowonaski has the wood trim and it is over $100 from the dealership. I won't ever buy parts for my car from ebay.

I correct myself from before, there isn't a "special" tool. You can use a trim tool, but it will still break the clips.

A new cupholder will run you about $85

Old 09-08-2009, 12:05 AM

I'm glad you can count. Yes, the clips break, deeming the plate useless. And Jbweld, really man? Such a hack job way to go about fixing things. I'll put that right next to my Mighty Mend It, Kaboom, and Comfort Wand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crfGXmxJ1vM

I believe pullacowonaski has the wood trim and it is over $100 from the dealership. I won't ever buy parts for my car from ebay.

I correct myself from before, there isn't a "special" tool. You can use a trim tool, but it will still break the clips.

A new cupholder will run you about $85
hidden jbweld is better than a cupholder that sticks every time you open it.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 AM
4th Gear

yea the jbweld goes on the underside which isnt seen. and if it does the job for putting the clips back in plase then it works. there really is no way to get it off without having at least 1 clip break i mean they are only being held on by plastic melted over it. i glued my clips back on and it looks exactly the same as it did before i took the trim off. and seriously if 1 or all the clips break the part isnt useless, your going to tell me that u would rather spend 100$ on a piece of trim than save the money by fixing it yourself?

Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by pyropenguin
hidden jbweld is better than a cupholder that sticks every time you open it.
F cupholders!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

I won't ever buy parts for my car from ebay.
Are you serious? is ebay not classy enough? Don't give me anything about "poor quality". If you're smart you can find many quality parts. (just don't expect a HUGE deal) Plus, aren't we talking about a piece of TRIM...who cares where it came from!

All I'm saying is, without a little "breakage" here and there we wouldn't learn anything about our cars...JB Weld or no ;D

Old 09-08-2009, 12:13 AM

All of the cool kids put boost controllers or turbo timers in the cupholder spot anyways.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:16 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Jc61990
yea the jbweld goes on the underside which isnt seen. and if it does the job for putting the clips back in plase then it works. there really is no way to get it off without having at least 1 clip break i mean they are only being held on by plastic melted over it. i glued my clips back on and it looks exactly the same as it did before i took the trim off. and seriously if 1 or all the clips break the part isnt useless, your going to tell me that u would rather spend 100$ on a piece of trim than save the money by fixing it yourself?
True, I just don't like things that are fixed like that. My trim piece has a few broken clips, it stays in place but it needs to be replaced. The last owner did it by improperly trying to remove the radio. I also have the black plastic trim, it's around $35 to replace, I just haven't done it yet. The wood trim usually crack though. Different material and from temperature changes it gets very brittle.

Quick Reply: cup holder