B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Cup holder replacement gone completely wrong

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Cup holder replacement gone completely wrong

My cup holder broke so I decided to take it out of the dash and see what was wrong. There is a wire that connects to the cup holder, and it lights up the little symbol when the headlights are on.

Anyway, when I removed the cup holder the wire fell way back into the dash. SH**!! I tried to retrieve the wire using pliers, but it just wouldn't move. I tried tugging it hard and I ended up pulling out a green chip.

After I had retrieved the cup holder, a long plastic piece fell out of the housing. I must have spent an hour trying to figure out how to put it back in, but eventually I gave and put the cup holder back together without it. I put it back into the dash without connecting the wire, because it was stuck way back inside the dash!

I didn't even fix the cup holder, I did everything they said to do online and it still didn't work. F*** me.

I swear to god, when I see videos of people removing their cup holders it takes them about 2 minutes and nothing bad happens. I do it and it takes me half the day and everything you could imagine that would go wrong, well, goes completely wrong. I hate driving at night and looking down at the center console, and seeing everything on the console lit up except for the cup holder. Is there any way to fix this.