B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

CV joing, strut bushing, or sway bar bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM
1st Gear
Default CV joing, strut bushing, or sway bar bushing?

Howdy folks, this is my first official post on these forums. I am an avid member of cadillacforums.com so I'm used to these sorts of things. My girlfriend drives a 99 A4, so that's what brings me here.

In the front of the car, there is a grinding noise that sounds like a metal-metal joint with a large lack of grease. It is not a clicking noise - it is more of a grinding/screeching noise. I'm thinking it is a lube problem because if the car sits for a few days and then is driven it makes the noise. If it is driven continuously, though, the noise is not there.

The classic mechanic in me first thinks CV boot torn with no more grease in the joint, but isn't that usually a clicking sound? Also, through my search on here, it seems it may be a strut (upper?) bushing? Or perhaps the sway bar bushings?

Thanks for any and all advice, and, great forum you have here!
SAM

Last edited by samm86; 04-26-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

When does the grinding noise occur? over bumps? normal driving down the road? does it go away after a while or does it stay constant?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

We need a little more info on how/when it makes the noise. Is it going over bumps, turning corners, does it change with road speed or engine RPM? The bushings do go out all the time so if that is what you gut is telling you, you are probably right. Based on your description I really can't say.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

First, thanks for the replies.
Second, I'd like to clarify on my list of symptoms. A grinding noise can easily be assumed to be a mid-frequency noise, much like a wheel bearing noise. I should state that it is more of a high frequency screeching noise, like a noise one would hear from regular metal that isn't lubed properly.

I'm sorry I didn't clarify well enough at first. Like I said, the noise is only there after the car sits for more than a day. The noise will begin as soon as the car begins turning out of the driveway. Our driveway has a very steep approach to the street, as such we must enter and exit the driveway at an angle to avoid bottom-ing out on the front facia. As such, it is my thought that the noise results from a combination of frame/suspension flux and steering - since exiting the steep approach at an angle would "twist" the frame/suspension. My cadillac's struts hate this act as well - one of them pops every time I enter the driveway.

Anyway, when driving straight down a smooth road there is no noise. However, it will again be heard when entering almost any other driveway-street approach in which the car is turned and put at an angle that one would assume would flux the frame and/or suspension.

Given these facts, would it be plausible to assume strut bushing, or sway bar bushing?

Originally Posted by krazzz
The bushings do go out all the time
Which bushings exactly are you guessing the culprit?

Again, thanks for your help.
SAM

Last edited by samm86; 04-27-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Could be the sway bar end links.

Have you jacked up the car and checked the wheels/control arms for play?

Old 04-27-2011, 01:17 PM
1st Gear

No, actually I haven't been under the car yet to check anything out. I was gonna try to get a preliminary diagnosis before I started disassembling things to see what is wrong.

SAM

Old 04-29-2011, 01:29 AM
1st Gear

im gonna throw something out there :P Power Steering? check the fluid level even, my 98 a4 started grinding every morning for a little bit all i had to do was top it off, was runnin low. it was mainly in the morning too when it had sat for a bit, and only on turns especially turning into my driveway aswell... hope its coming along well.