B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Dash screen and radio screen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:00 AM
1st Gear
Default Dash screen and radio screen?

the screen between the speedo and tach fades out when i drive the car. when i turn the car on early in the morning when it is cold the screen works perfect but it seems after i drive it for a few mins the screen fades out and it is barely visible for the rest of the day.... also on the radio screen the left side of the screen doesnt work ever anly a few dots lite up and it is very annoying.. does anyone know why this hapens or how i can fix it? TIA... Great site......

'00 Audi A4 B5

Old 05-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Legal Moderator

for it only working during the morning, i have no idea. ive noticed mine is only bright enough to see well during the night, but i think its because the car automatically dims it because it is bright out. when your driving at night, notice the brightness of the screen, then turn the interior light on. youll notice the screen get much brighter because the car notices the addition of light, and brightens the screen to adjust for it. as for the pixels being out, it is probably the most common thing to go wrong with all a4's. everybody's screen has pixels missing. there are various remedies, some include using a magnet, but the only true way to get it 100% is getting a whole new screen. i even think there was a recall or a lawsuit or somethin on them

Old 05-15-2009, 02:01 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

i have the same problem. it only works when its cold out. common problem and possibly could be fixed by opening the dash up and installing it with higher gauge wire.

theory is, the wires heat up causing too much resistance for it to properly trasmit data to the dash.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

Mine does the same thing(s), everything is good when cool/cold, and the display almost entirely goes away in hot weather. I guess perhaps the 'wire resistance vs. heat' theory might work; but in my opinion that's really a stretch. My bet would be it has something to do with the age of the display - and a sensitivity to heat that goes with the age.

This could of course be complete BS; but has anyone tried replacing the display with a new one (not one out of an old car)?

- tcwild

Old 05-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by vgo
theory is, the wires heat up causing too much resistance for it to properly trasmit data to the dash.
this actually makes sense. not to get all scientific but things that are cold are able to conduct more electricity than hot things. no matter how good of a conductor something is, there is still resistance, but less resistance as it gets colder. a good theory is that zero resistance is possible when 0 degrees kelvin is achieved. i know it strays from the topic at hand, but it does apply.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:34 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

you could always shell out $250 by checking into this website

http://www.pixelfix.info/index.php?m...ex&cPath=68_65

they've got a location near me