B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Diverter Valve Reloaction

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:06 AM
1st Gear
Default Diverter Valve Reloaction

Hey people,

I am hoping to relocate my DV from the hot side to the cold. I know their are kits out their however I have a fmic, will this make the relocation difficult? I have read up on some installs but still cant seem to understand exactly what is needed to be done. I do not do repairs/maintenance on the car myself so I do not know much about this stuff. Trying to learn. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:15 AM

Forge makes a DV relocation kit, which is basically a 2" OD x ~4" long aluminum pipe with duct beads on each end, and a 1" OD nipple in the middle (it is essentially a T-pipe).

You would also need a hose to connect the outlet of the DV to the TIP if you plan on keeping recirculation. I am using a 1" silicone hose for that, about 2-3 feet long:
Reinforced Silicone Heater Hose

Other than that, you would just need hose clamps and a male-to-male 1" adapter to connect the recirculation hose to the TIP.

I have a FMIC as well, but I made my own cold-side piping and was able to fit in the relocation T-pipe without any issues. I have it right before the throttle body. Here it is on my car:
Name:  DV_reloc3.jpg
Views: 3226
Size:  92.2 KB

(Also, TIP stands for turbo inlet pipe if you weren't aware)

Last edited by MetalMan; 04-15-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

Thanks this picture helps a lot, I do not plan on keeping recirculation so does this mean all I need to to is set up a t-piece before the throttle body like you have and attach a BOV?

Old 04-16-2013, 01:59 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by george1546
Thanks this picture helps a lot, I do not plan on keeping recirculation so does this mean all I need to to is set up a t-piece before the throttle body like you have and attach a BOV?
if you dont plan on keeping recirculation, you just need to plug the holes where the dv currently sits and run the tee near the throttle body with the dv hooked to that.

with that said, i highly recommend recirulating it. theres a couple reasons, but the main one is that you have a massair flow sensor. without recirculation, you will run rich. that coupled with your narrowband o2 sensor is a recipe for a somewhat poorly running engine.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:29 AM
1st Gear

Understood, however I have not been recirculating for a few months now, reason being my car was losing engine oil fast through the DV, with one side being blocked of (recirculation) the car now is running fine. As for the running rich issue. My car has been running rich ever since we got it, even without any modification. This soon hopefully will be fixed as I plan to put an aftermarket ems computer in it which will not require a maf sensor, it will be built into the computer.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:33 AM
Legal Moderator

what the hell do you have planned? full standalone on a stock turbo? i really see no need for that. how do you know the car was running rich?

Old 04-16-2013, 05:38 AM
1st Gear

A brand new computer for the car which will include the computer and a dyno tune, yes I know their isn't much use on stock setup but once a bigger turbo is in, it will cost like 2-300 for a re tune on the dyno and so on. I have been told by several mechanics that its most likely running rich. The tip of exhaust pipe is black along with black smoke. Not that great on fuel mileage as well.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:37 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by george1546
Understood, however I have not been recirculating for a few months now, reason being my car was losing engine oil fast through the DV, with one side being blocked of (recirculation) the car now is running fine.
I'm not trying to be a dick but this is wrong.

Theres no way that you would be losing oil because of the DV.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by meloman
Theres no way that you would be losing oil because of the DV.
definately. you are losing oil through other means. how much oil you got in your intake tract?

as for the stand alone, why bother with the stock turbo? just throw everything in at once

Old 04-16-2013, 07:07 PM
1st Gear

@Meloman, Redline

Nah all good, but the the thing, This all started after the fmic install. I get the car back, first thing I notice the car is underpowered, you cannot feel the boost kick in however it was still boosting to 17psi at it should. I was like wtf is going on, at the same time I check the engine oil and its drained, the whole thing in a week, I fill it up, check again in a few days, half of it gone. At this time as well, their was blue smoke from the exhaust pipe. So I take it back to the guy who installed it. We check the turbo, yep turbo is good, a small amount of oil was found. The intake also had a small amount. Then he suggests that the DV is the problem, We block of the recirculation side of the DV (oil was also found in the DV) The cars performance is back and the car is no longer drains oil like it did nor was their blue smoke from the exhaust pipe. I found it hard to believe as well that the DV was causing all this but what can I say this was done and it had fixed the problem.

Main reason I wish to go with the new comp on stock is to get the car running as best/safest it can before going big. Fix the rich condition as well. Another 2-300 isn't much for a re tune on complete new setup.

Quick Reply: Diverter Valve Reloaction