B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Do you guys think this stroker kit/block is worth while?

Old 01-31-2010, 03:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Do you guys think this stroker kit/block is worth while?

So this guy is willing to sell me an AEB block with a stroker kit.

JE custom 83mm pistons

2.0L forged crankshaft ,micropolished journals,checked for warpage and balanced.

83 VW rabbit rods with new bushings, magnafluxed,resized, lightened and shotpeened.ARP hardware.

Also has the AEB block that's already machined for the stroker kit, says would come with everything to build the bottom end including bearings. Total would be ~1350 or so with shipping. Do you think it's worth it for this price?

Old 01-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Tech Slut

depends on the power goal you are going for and what turbo you plan on running in the future... obviously the 2.0 will spool you up earlier and with that setup you'll be able to hold boost alot longer and smoother (depending on the pistons and what kind of headwork you get done). If you are willing to drop a decent chunk of money down to make your A4 have some serious power and want a nice wide powerband, then i say go for it... if you just want to slap on an elim and go have fun with ~300awhp or less, then definitly do not do this...

Old 01-31-2010, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

I'm looking for 300-350 wheel horse power. Thinking of running a GT2871R or similar. I'm looking at a head block on ebay that has everything in it but would remove a lot and upgrade. I'll be building this engine for a few months and then eventually swapping it in. The A4 is a daily driver so can't afford for it to be out of commission while I source parts or work on it. So this is a better route and with over 100k miles a newly built engine will be nice. I'd also like to eventually put in the S4 6 speed. So yeah I'm willing to spend the money, kind of hoping I can build the engine for under 4k though but we'll see. I just wasn't sure if that stuff was worth the almost 1400 or if I could do better on my own.

He said those rods are good for up to 24PSI, can I make the power I'm looking for at that PSI? Really looking for anything between 300-400 wheel hp which I don't think is too unreasonable.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:10 PM
Administrator

With the right turbo you can do it but if you're looking to do a $4000 engine build you might want to talk to an engine builder familiar with Audi power production and see what they think. Check out www.vwvortex.com too and see what those guys say. The rods may be beefy enough but I wouldn't blindly take the word of the person who stands to profit from you buying them.

To be honest I think that you may not need such a setup. As stated above, a 2871 elim kit will make 300whp and the amount of speed that gives you is going to be an eye-opener. You don't need a built bottom end for that. I'd be looking at such a setup if the goal was more like 400whp. If you're thinking of running a 2871 anyway, you could get the block you're talking about with the internals and hold onto it while running the elim setup on your existing engine. When the holy-crap factor on the elim fades, and eventually it will, you'd have a swap engine waiting in the wings for a real weapons-grade build like a 3076 - a fire-breather that really needs a built bottom end.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

Well I'm not looking to drop the 2.0 in right away anyways and as I said 300-400 would be great obviously the upper end would be better. I just want to build an engine as it's been quite a while. This build will be over the next 6-12 months probably and still kind of researching. But if the block/stroker kit is worth the 1300 then obviously I want to jump on it. If the rods aren't really going to take what I need then I could probably swap them for something else. The guys not profiting really it's all stuff he was collecting for a build.