B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Dr. Colorchip, my review

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Dr. Colorchip, my review

I'm sure some of you have heard of the Dr. Colorchip system and if you haven't, Google it. Basically, it's a touch-up paint designed to fill road rash and rock chips. I was a bit skeptical of it a first, so I did a lot of research. Finally, I decided to buy the small basic kit (it fills a whole lot more than a dozen chips despite what the website says) and I must say I am impressed. Unfortunately, I didn't take before and after pics, but I don't think the chips in the before photos would have come out in the picture anyway. What I did was I smeared the paint (Santorian Blue) on the bumper and front of the hood one small section at a time and let it sit for like 10 minutes while I ran back inside to watch Glenn Beck between breaks. Afterwards I used the Seal Act solution and cloth (both included in the kit) to remove the excess paint and finally buffed the area with another portion of my microfiber.

Now, I will be honest, it's not perfect. But then again, the only way to get a perfect finish is to either repaint the car or buy a brand new car. In my opinion, It's the best you can possibly do without spending a fortune (the kit cost me $39 before shipping and tax - that's probably cheaper than regular touch-up paint from the stealership) and it looks much better than globing regular touch-up paint over the damaged areas. The paint matches perfectly too, better than regular touch-up paint. I'm definitely buying this stuff again.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:15 PM
2nd Gear

does that work on scratches too? and also it doesnt look like you used anything to cover it with clear coat for protection, does it still shine like regular paint?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

+1 for watching Glenn Beck!

and i could use this for my car,

my guess is that the previous owner used to scrape off snow with a shovel, you can only imagine what my paint looks like...

Old 09-12-2010, 03:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by twoeightquattro
+1 for watching Glenn Beck!

and i could use this for my car,

my guess is that the previous owner used to scrape off snow with a shovel, you can only imagine what my paint looks like...
Gotta love Beck, he's the only guy on TV that I know of with the ***** to say how much this country is going to ****.

About the shovel, I don't even wanna know what your finish looks like, but give it a shot, it did wonders for me.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 AM
1st Gear

That sounds consistent with what I have read elsewhere too - it's a better cover up but not perfect. I have also used regular touch up paint from www.touchuppaintonline.com and that's also a good cover up but not perfect, the only difference is that it costs $11 vs. $39.

I was fixing all the chips on my car (yeah, there's a lot) and got pretty good at doing it. If anyone ever do it, use a toothpick to apply the paint a little at a time instead of using the brush, it works great!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:29 AM
1st Gear

yeah, i'd have to smear the stuff all over my car...
thats how bad it is.

i just need to get it repainted. :/ idk if i want to spend half of what i bought the car for just for paint though...