B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Drag race or Auto X?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default Drag race or Auto X?

Alright guys and girls this thread is more or less me thinking out loud and wanting to get some of your thoughts! Ok here is where I am, I want to race simple and easy. Ricky Bobby said it perfect when he said "I wanna go fast!". So here is what I've been tossing around either Drag or Auto X. Now the great thing about Audi is the handling which is good in both! I have 1 local 1/8 strip and Norwalk Raceway 1/4 is about 45mins away and with drag I can go fast. There is a major SCCA Auto X group that uses multiple areas around me and changes every weekend to keep things new and fresh.
Now if I were drag I'd buy a 2nd car and it would be a slow project over time! Auto X I could run with my current car but would like to get a 2nd car so I have one to race on to dd but I have no problem with running one car I just would hate to break my dd! My current is the B5 99.5 with 1.8tQM with roughly 145k miles.
If I were to get a 2nd car for either it might be a b5 or b6 it might be a c5 or c6 depends on what I choose to race! If I drag I kinda want (what I always have) a c5/c6 Avant with a 4.2 V8 OR pull a onepoint8tee or mike and have a sick *** 4cyl smashing v8s at the track! If I went Auto X I would like to pretty much use what I have 1.8t sedan and then buy a c5/c6 Avant with the 4.2 V8 for a dd! Nothing is set in stone just something I've been thinking about lately and CCA4 getting his Avant is making me want to step up and start working. Winter is getting close so that gives me time to work on what ever I decide! I could also just do like I was thinking before and use my current car for what ever I decide and then buy a truck as my dd to tow to shows/tracks. Let me know what you guys think. This is an OPEN discussion to any pros cons of Drag Vs Auto X. Talk about different cars for each! Basically I've been thinking about this and cant figure out what I want. No this isn't an over night thing but would like to get start on either or!

Soooo

OOOOOOORRRRRRRR

Old 08-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Administrator

LOVE that second pic lol.

Drag racing is cool, but I've always been more a fan of turning, ESPECIALLY with teh AWD. Also seems to me that autox would be a bit easier on the car, you could prolly get away with tracking your DD without too much trouble.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

No rally?

AutoX will not only be easier on the car, but easier on your wallet...

Old 08-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Zombie Defense Force

Ralllllllly

Old 08-31-2010, 01:05 PM
1st Gear

Screw it get the neon in the back of the second picture and race it that's all you need

No for real i would go for drag there's nothing better then killing a supercharged mustang with a little fourbanger and when you pull back up to the line you will be respected by all of them

Old 08-31-2010, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear

auto x - you can still take your auto x queen to the 1/8 strip!!!

if your gonna do autox get an elim setup or k04 -

Old 08-31-2010, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Good points so far.
Originally Posted by flynnr
auto x - you can still take your auto x queen to the 1/8 strip!!!

if your gonna do autox get an elim setup or k04 -
The rules at for the Auto X are strict. Right now do to my wheels I fall under the Street Prep class which is ridiculous! I need another set of wheels just to me moved down to the Stock Extreme class... And I have 0 engine mods :P
Here's a break down of the autocross classing.
Stock – This category includes mass-produced, common vehicles that may be “daily drivers” (cars used for
normal, everyday driving). Stock Category cars compete in their “factory” configuration with a minimal number
of allowances (not requirements) such as:
- Removal of spare tire and tools
- Front anti-roll bar(s), including mounts and endlinks
- Suspension/wheel alignment using standard adjustments
- Factory-specified crash bolts are allowed (but no aftermarket bolts/alignment products)
- High-performance DOT tires (including competition R-compounds)
- Shock absorbers/struts (2 external adjustments maximum, springs may not be changed)
- Competition-type seat belts (no shoulder belts in open cars)
- Brake linings (pads/shoes)
- Air filter element (the “throw-away” part)
- “Cat”-back exhaust systems
- Wheels of standard size (diameter, width, and offset within +/1 6mm - may use spacers)
- Roll bar/cage
- Gauges, indicator lights, etc. (convenience items)
- Option package conversions are allowed as long as all components are carried over, including trim pieces,
badging, etc. This ONLY includes factory option packages (i.e. 94-97 Miata R-Package) and does NOT include
dealer-installed items or packages (i.e. TRD parts for Scion).

Street Touring – Started in 1997, this is one of the more popular categories which includes Street Touring
(ST), Street Touring Sport (STS), Street Touring Xtra (STX), Street Touring Roadster (STR), and Street Touring
Ultra (STU). This is the only category that does not allow competition R-compound tires – only high
performance tires with a UTQG treadwear rating of 140 or higher.

ST consists of sedans/coupes with four seats minimum and normally aspirated engines up to 3.1L (very few
turbo/supercharged cars are allowed).
- Stock category allowances
- No limited slip differentials except for standard viscous-types
- Pedal kits and other interior trim
- Front seats (25 pounds minimum weight each, including mounts)
- Rub strips, emblems, and mud flaps removed
- Body kits, spoilers, and wings added
- Tires up to 225mm wide, UTQG treadwear 140 minimum
- Wheels up to 7.5 inches wide, any diameter/offset
- Any shocks/struts, number of damper adjustments is unlimited
- Drilled/slotted rotors (standard size) and braided DOT brake lines
- Anti-roll bars, front and rear, including mounts
- Lowered suspensions using standard-type springs (commonly referred to as "coilover" suspension kits)
- Suspension bushings (non-metallic)
- Camber kits, plates, or bolts
- Traction bars, torque arms, panhard rods
- Strut bars, 2-point only
- Battery relocated
- Air filter systems up to throttle body or compressor inlet
- Headers, emissions compliant
- High-flow catalytic converters (no test pipes) - must be within 6 inches of factory location
- Engine computers (PCM/ECU) reprogrammed
- Shifter kits
- Accessory drive pulleys
- Motor mounts (non-metallic)
- Boost controllers are NOT allowed (manual, electronic, ECU-based, or otherwise)
- Example of included cars: Audi A4 1.8T and TT (non-quattro), Mazda 323 GT and GTX (AWD), Volkswagen
Golf/GTi/Jetta/Beetle/Passat 1.8T and TDI, Volvo S40 (except T5) and V40
- Example of excluded cars: Datsun Z 2+2, Honda CRX, MGB GT, Porsche (all), Triumph (all)

STS is for sports cars with only 2 seats and normally aspirated engines up to 1.9L.
- ST allowances
- Included cars: BMW Z3, Honda CRX and del Sol, Mazda Miata (1990-97) and RX-7 (1979-92) (non-turbo), Toyota
MR2 (1985-89) (non-supercharged)
- Excluded cars: Lotus (all), Mazda Miata (1999+), Toyota MR2 (1991-95, 2000+)

Where I'm trying to get----STX is for sedans/coupes with four seats and engines up to 5.1L normallyaspirated or up to 2.0L
turbo/supercharged.
- ST allowances
- Tires up to 245mm wide (AWD) or 265mm wide (RWD/FWD), UTQG treadwear 140 minimum
- Wheels up to 8 inches wide (AWD) or 9 inches wide (RWD/FWD), any diameter/offset
- Limited slip differentials allowed (any type, including aftermarket) for 2WD cars
- Larger brake calipers and rotors, including 2-piece rotors
- High-flow catalytic converters - may be consolidated into ONE main converter (i.e. Subaru WRX may remove two of their three converters)
- Excluded cars: Audi S4 (V8 engine), BMW M3 (E36, E46) and M5, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Subaru Impreza
WRX STi

STR is for sports cars with only 2 seats and normally aspirated engines up to 3.5L
- ST allowances
- Tires up to 225mm wide (AWD) or 255mm wide (RWD/FWD), UTQG treadwear 140 minimum
- Limited slip differentials allowed (any type, including aftermarket) for 2WD cars
- Legal cars are limited to: BMW M Coupe/Roadster (98-00), BMW Z3 (non-M), BMW Z4 (non-turbo, non-M), Datsun Z
car (non-turbo), Honda S2000, Mazda Miata/MX-5 (non-Mazdaspeed), Mazda RX-7 (non-turbo), Nissan 350Z, Pontiac
Fiero, Pontiac Solstice (non-turbo), Porsche 911 (3.2L, 84-89), Porsche 924/944/968 (non-turbo), Toyota
MR2/MR2 Spyder (non-turbo)

STU is for sedans/coupes with four seats and normally aspirated engines of any
displacement normally aspirated or turbo/supercharged engines up to 3.1L.
- ST and STX allowances
- No wheel restrictions
- Tires up to 245mm wide (AWD) or 285mm wide (RWD/FWD), UTQG treadwear 140 minimum
- Example of included cars: Audi S4, BMW M3 (E36), Chevrolet Camaro, Dodge SRT-4, Ford Mustang, Mitsubishi
Lancer Evolution, Pontiac Firebird / Trans Am and GTO, Subaru Impreza WRX STi, Volvo S60 R
- Excluded cars: BMW M5 (E39)

Refer to the SCCA National Solo Rules for full details and specifications on
the Street Touring allowances.

Where I currently am---Street Prepared– The original SCCA “street” category, Street Prepared allows any carburetor/fuel injection
system and any ignition system. Turbo/supercharger hardware has to remain standard, but aftermarket boost
control systems/programs and intercoolers are allowed. Exhaust manifolds and systems are free. Emission
controls are not required for competition, but no internal
engine or transmission modifications are allowed beyond factory specs (no cams, hi-comp pistons, ported heads,
etc). Some cars are able to update/backdate components like engines, brakes, etc (See Solo Rules for details
and specifics). There are no limits on wheels sizes or DOT tires; racing springs and shocks are the norm.

Street Modified – The top of the “street” categories, Street Modified allows anything from Stock, Street
Touring, and Street Prepared and just about any engine and drivetrain configuration as long as the engine
manufacturer matches the body manufacturer (see Solo Rules for details). Most four-seaters (BMW, Supra, Talon,
VW, etc.) run in SM and two-seat sports cars (Corvette, CRX, M Roadster, Miata, RX-7, MR2, etc.) compete in
SSM - there is also a FWD-specific, four-seat version called SMF (Street Modified FWD). Carbonfiber hoods,
cams, turbo/supercharger kits, etc are welcome, too.

Prepared – These cars are not for the street; they are virtually race-prepared vehicles for dedicated Solo®
competition. Gutted interiors and racing slicks are the first visual characteristics of these cars and when
they crank up, you can tell these engines weren’t built for bringing home the groceries. Convertible cars are
required to install roll bars per the Solo Rules.

Modified – Except for D and E Modified, these were never ever “street” cars. They are special built
competition vehicles and most of them resemble an openwheel Indy car or a closed-wheel LeMans sports racer. DM
and EM cars may have started life on the streets, but just about any engine, drivetrain, or suspension is
permitted. Supercharged rotary engines and V-8 engines are seen in 1700 pound EM machines and powerful
4-cylinders are common in 1300-pound DM lightweights.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:02 PM
2nd Gear

So where would i fall?

(mods in sig)

Old 08-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by flynnr
So where would i fall?

(mods in sig)
Street Modded

Old 08-31-2010, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

ive always wanted to autox. to mee it seems like it takes more than power, and i realize it takes more than that to drag to, but our cars are made to handle. and thats what they should do. plus can you really deny that bada$$ tripod. i mean come on.

Quick Reply: Drag race or Auto X?