B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Drag race or Auto X?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

I took mine AutoXing for the first time March 28th of this year, and am going again Sept 18th in CA with the Porsche Club of Santa Barbara. I have a completely stock car except for the muffler, except for the AutoX I removed the spare tire, rear seat and passenger seat. Stock (mines a quattro), the car pushes very badly, but then again, making it easy to drive. Out of 75 drivers, I came 33rd fastest:

(oh and my tires were starting to show the belt LOL, this next time I have some summer performance Falkens)
It was a blast. I say just try it first, no harm done. It's mostly driver anyway, not car at an AutoX, until you start getting into the better skill categories.

We had 12 runs in a day, 3 per outing, last 3 counted. I started the day at 1min 10 seconds. Only used 1rst and 2nd gear. First time I have "raced" a car outside of Forza. I do not do any illegal driving on public roads...

BTW that blue audi in the OPs first post, needs a bigger roll bar up front, and more weight in the rear...thats just ridiculous. There was an Evo out there that did the same EVERY f-ing turn, as well as the newer Camaro.

Last edited by rezenclowd3; 08-31-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:34 PM
5th Gear

i rly think autox is more fun. you rly won't break down though. just make sure your engine seals, brake hoses and PS are all good. yeah coilovers will put you in a much higher class. eventually you should just go all out and aim for SM class with a gt30 and stasis track CO. then if you want to drag, you could just swap a turbo and ECU

Old 08-31-2010, 11:56 PM
4th Gear

You can pretty much do both the same car. Then as you increase your power you will just end up in a higher class for autox.

Drag racing is about making the car run as quick as possible with the power it is making and getting better at cutting a light while racing in bracket events.

BTW nice pic of me drag racing the silver S4

Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Yu- The coilovers are nto the problem tossing me up. Those are aloud in the STX class it's my wheels! tires are 225 which is ok, but my wheels are 18x8.5. AWD cars are limited to ?x8 if I was FWD or RWD I could have ?x9 and it's fine.

Mike that's a very good point going that route but then I can't dedicate to one or the other, and since I plan one changing schedules at work so I will be able to do it, I need to pick one! I think personally I will like Auto X more, But DR will give me a reason to build a nice freaking motor, which yes I know I can do for AutoX but I don't see a point!

And Mike is that really you? I just typed "audi drag race" in google images!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:33 AM
5th Gear

you should get a set of light OZ wheels like mike has. they make 17x8 and you can fit 225s over them and they'd be perfect.

don you should know that mike is world famous for DRing audis. shame on you

Old 09-01-2010, 11:46 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by chocalotstarfish
Yu- The coilovers are nto the problem tossing me up. Those are aloud in the STX class it's my wheels! tires are 225 which is ok, but my wheels are 18x8.5. AWD cars are limited to ?x8 if I was FWD or RWD I could have ?x9 and it's fine.

Mike that's a very good point going that route but then I can't dedicate to one or the other, and since I plan one changing schedules at work so I will be able to do it, I need to pick one! I think personally I will like Auto X more, But DR will give me a reason to build a nice freaking motor, which yes I know I can do for AutoX but I don't see a point!

And Mike is that really you? I just typed "audi drag race" in google images!
Yes that me as the hired driver for the Eurocode S4 at the 2007 Eurotuner GP, I ran 10.8 in that car and took 1st place in the drag event. Not too bad seeing the car had all season tires on it. lol

I dont just drag race Audi's, took 1st place in a USCC drag event driving a Evo8.

Well you really dont have to pick 1, you can set the car up for autox and still enjoy taking the car to the drags once in a while to see how quick it will run. The car doesn't really need a different setup for drag racing unless your looking for it to run much quicker then it will with a stock setup.

Funny thing is I still hold the quickest 1/4 mile time for a A4 1.8t with a K03 and I ran that back in 2001.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 09-01-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

I was thinking about picking up a 2nd set of stock wheels and just run them. I have 1 set of stocks that have my snow tires on them and then get a cheap-o stock set and put performance tires on them. That Should be able to put me into the STX

STX is for sedans/coupes with four seats and engines up to 5.1L normallyaspirated or up to 2.0L
turbo/supercharged.
- ST allowances
- Tires up to 245mm wide (AWD) or 265mm wide (RWD/FWD), UTQG treadwear 140 minimum
- Wheels up to 8 inches wide (AWD) or 9 inches wide (RWD/FWD), any diameter/offset
- Limited slip differentials allowed (any type, including aftermarket) for 2WD cars
- Larger brake calipers and rotors, including 2-piece rotors
- High-flow catalytic converters - may be consolidated into ONE main converter (i.e. Subaru WRX may remove two of their three converters)
- Excluded cars: Audi S4 (V8 engine), BMW M3 (E36, E46) and M5, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Subaru Impreza
WRX STi

ST consists of sedans/coupes with four seats minimum and normally aspirated engines up to 3.1L (very few
turbo/supercharged cars are allowed).
- Stock category allowances
- No limited slip differentials except for standard viscous-types
- Pedal kits and other interior trim
- Front seats (25 pounds minimum weight each, including mounts)
- Rub strips, emblems, and mud flaps removed
- Body kits, spoilers, and wings added
- Tires up to 225mm wide, UTQG treadwear 140 minimum
- Wheels up to 7.5 inches wide, any diameter/offset
- Any shocks/struts, number of damper adjustments is unlimited
- Drilled/slotted rotors (standard size) and braided DOT brake lines
- Anti-roll bars, front and rear, including mounts
- Lowered suspensions using standard-type springs (commonly referred to as "coilover" suspension kits)
- Suspension bushings (non-metallic)
- Camber kits, plates, or bolts
- Traction bars, torque arms, panhard rods
- Strut bars, 2-point only
- Battery relocated
- Air filter systems up to throttle body or compressor inlet
- Headers, emissions compliant
- High-flow catalytic converters (no test pipes) - must be within 6 inches of factory location
- Engine computers (PCM/ECU) reprogrammed
- Shifter kits
- Accessory drive pulleys
- Motor mounts (non-metallic)
- Boost controllers are NOT allowed (manual, electronic, ECU-based, or otherwise)
- Example of included cars: Audi A4 1.8T and TT (non-quattro), Mazda 323 GT and GTX (AWD), Volkswagen
Golf/GTi/Jetta/Beetle/Passat 1.8T and TDI, Volvo S40 (except T5) and V40
- Example of excluded cars: Datsun Z 2+2, Honda CRX, MGB GT, Porsche (all), Triumph (all)
Which in reality depending on wheel size I could even go down to the ST (Street Touring) class. But if I do BBK (which I want I will be back up to STX) Anyone know the stock wheel width?
Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Yes that me as the hired driver for the Eurocode S4 at the 2007 Eurotuner GP, I ran 10.8 in that car and took 1st place in the drag event. Not too bad seeing the car had all season tires on it. lol

I dont just drag race Audi's, took 1st place in a USCC drag event driving a Evo8.

Well you really dont have to pick 1, you can set the car up for autox and still enjoy taking the car to the drags once in a while to see how quick it will run. The car doesn't really need a different setup for drag racing unless your looking for it to run much quicker then it will with a stock setup.

Funny thing is I still hold the quickest 1/4 mile time for a A4 1.8t with a K03 and I ran that back in 2001.
That's sick bro! If I were to go drag I'd want to shoot for mid-10's to mid-11's which is a HUGE difference in DR but I don't think to unreasonable!

Last edited by chocalotstarfish; 09-01-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:55 AM
5th Gear

stock wheel width is 7"

Old 09-01-2010, 12:06 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by chocalotstarfish

That's sick bro! If I were to go drag I'd want to shoot for mid-10's to mid-11's which is a HUGE difference in DR but I don't think to unreasonable!
Yeah there is a huge difference between those 2 times. Big difference in how the car has to be setup. To run quicker then mid 11's you will need a roll bar, running mid 10's means you will be hitting 135+ mph and this means a full 10 point roll bar that has to be NHRA certified. You will also need a NHRA lic.

It is not a easy task to make a A4 go mid 10's, maybe thats why there are only 2 in the world that have actually been able to do it and only 3 that have hit 10's.

If you plan on keeping the car as a daily driver its best to shoot for high 11's.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:10 PM
5th Gear

i'll be the 3rd to run mid 10s : D.

Quick Reply: Drag race or Auto X?