B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

driving on bad wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 02:32 AM
1st Gear

Totally agree whit Tweaked , don't waist any time , wheel bearing are behaving differently , if you get yours hot it seize can go out in minutes and cause problems Tweaked explained in his posting above.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

Yea I need to replace a wheel bearing. I can't tell which one yet since its not too loud, but it sounds like a rear one. I definitelty wanna do it myself. I cant afford **** anymore for this car.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:22 AM
1st Gear

@SPhilli911
If you can drive to my place in Bergen County NJ I an wiling to help you ( just bring the beer ), I have everything you need, I just done mine last week , I have a bearing for your car.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Slut

the longer you wait the harder the replacement job will be.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

if you have to wait, avoid highways and excessive speed. the heat generated by high speed will only shorten the already severely diminished life. i have had a bearing lock up on the highway and it was scary as ****. thank goodness it was the back. get it done asap.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by razvy
@SPhilli911
If you can drive to my place in Bergen County NJ I an wiling to help you ( just bring the beer ), I have everything you need, I just done mine last week , I have a bearing for your car.
Seriously? That's a nice offer although that's a good 2 hour drive. The thing is that I'm not sure yet which rear bearing I need to replace.

But thanks for the offer, man. I'll keep you in mind.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:44 AM
3rd Gear

Well take it from me and dont be a dumb ***! It was a harsh cold winter in Illiniois so I neglected my wheel bearing since November. Granted I dont drive the A4 as much I put in about 2,000 miles on it. Last Saturday night driving home from a friends house I hear a loud clunking noise and then it turned to metal on metal. I had to get the car towed to my house the next morning and when I took everything out my bearing had grenaded inside my knuckle. Complete disaster. It was a bitch to get out but luckily i had ordered the part a long time ago so I had it running by Monday night. I'll take my losses as being a dumb teenager and just learn from this.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:21 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SPhilli911
Seriously? That's a nice offer although that's a good 2 hour drive. The thing is that I'm not sure yet which rear bearing I need to replace.

But thanks for the offer, man. I'll keep you in mind.
Just let me know if you want to do it so I can plan the day ahead, to find out which bearing is bad do the fallowing : Whit the windows roll up radio off on a nice smooth road and strait , stair left /right and you should hear the bearing on and of depending on which side the car is lining from the steering , if you pull the steering to the LEFT the weight of the car move to the right and the bearing on the right side takes the weight if bearing is bad you going to hear it , same goes for the other side .

Old 03-21-2009, 11:42 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by razvy
Just let me know if you want to do it so I can plan the day ahead, to find out which bearing is bad do the fallowing : Whit the windows roll up radio off on a nice smooth road and strait , stair left /right and you should hear the bearing on and of depending on which side the car is lining from the steering , if you pull the steering to the LEFT the weight of the car move to the right and the bearing on the right side takes the weight if bearing is bad you going to hear it , same goes for the other side .
Thanks. I had someone drive around with me in the back seat and I think it's the left rear for sure. It's not all that loud yet though.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:56 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by SPhilli911
It's not all that loud yet though.
It will be. The fact that it's making any noise is like your stomach growling for food. It's already broken, don't wait for it to get worse.

Quick Reply: driving on bad wheel bearing