B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Ebay Rotors? Good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Ebay Rotors? Good or bad?

I'm looking to upgrade my rotors on my 2.8 quattro. I've found some on Ebay and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. Are there any quality rotors on Ebay?

The ones I'm looking at are slotted and drilled from V12 motorsports. Anyone ever heard of them?

Old 03-09-2008, 03:42 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Ebay Rotors? Good or bad?

Oh, forgot to mention that a set of front and rear rotors, slotted and drilled, costs $169.00 from V12 motorsports.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:14 AM
Administrator

Hard to say. Did they do the drilling themselves, or are they drilled rotors that are manufactured by a known brake supplier like Brembo? The problem that you have to watch for is if the rotors aren't CNC drilled, as they would be from a known maker. When they're not done correctly, you run a higher risk of stress cracks around the drillings. This can happen to any drilled rotor, but you can cut the chances down by buying known quality discs.

FWIW, since the brake biasing is heavily toward the front end of the car, you really only need to upgrade the fronts functionally (upgrading the rears is great for looks, but won't really buy you any additional braking performance unless you're circuit-racing the car). If I were you, I'd get the A8 big-brake upgrade kit from PureMS.com or ECSTuning.com and replace all your pads all the way around with a ceramic street compound. THAT will buy you drastically improved braking (and I'm speaking from experience here - I have this setup on my car).

Old 03-09-2008, 05:05 AM
1st Gear

i've had them on my s for awhile. its worked fine (knock on wood)

Old 03-09-2008, 05:21 AM
2nd Gear

For superior stopping, I wouldn't go ceramic. Semi-metallic would be a smarter decision, but your wheels'll get dirty faster :'(

Old 03-09-2008, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

Id say no no no. I put some ebay cross drilled zimmerman and brembo on my avant and they didn't last a year. I'm in Vt and they just couldn't keep up with the dirt, mud, and weather. I'd bet the ones i got were drilled post factory. Theres just no knowing on ebay.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm make believe

Please avoid ebay rotors. You are also better off with a set of plain brembo rotors and a nice set of pads. Stops will be much shorter and i doubt you will really need to worry about fade.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:21 PM
4th Gear

You can go STAGE 1 for like 300 bucks
http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=810

Old 03-09-2008, 11:55 PM

at least make sure the sellers feedback is good and they are known for selling euro rotors. try to find a company that specializes in the particular market of the cars. i know that my shop has had numerous success from a few sellers when buying rotors from a company that specialized in certain nissan/toyota brake setups. we did our research and didnt have a problem. rotors have held up fine. do the research and communicate with the seller. if they arent online to answer your questions about the products, then its not worth your time. hook yourself up with some brembos.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:39 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for your input guys! I didn't even think someone would drill rotors after market.. that's kinda shady... I think I will go the A8 rotor upgrade.

Quick Reply: Ebay Rotors? Good or bad?