B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ECU going bad?

Old 02-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Tech Guru

Well my ABS module was dead as a door nail and my cheapie scanner would pull codes from my ECU all day long.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:13 PM
4th Gear

Got the hood open. A quick disconnect/ reconnect of the ECU didn't fix the problem. I pulled the ABS fuse and tried to scan. Still no luck. Thanks for that tip, though. It was worth a shot.

So, now on to investigate this "coolant migration" theory.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:35 PM
4th Gear

I highly doubt it's coolant migration. I checked the connector under the coolant reservoir and it was clean as a whistle, dry, with no crusty anything.

After trying to start, the throttle body is making some pretty loud noise and stuttering all over the place. I don't think I've ever seen or heard it like this before.

Edit: I did have the battery disconnected momentarily while fiddling wih the ECU. It may just be doing an alignment.

Last edited by bradtyler02; 02-16-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
I highly doubt it's coolant migration. I checked the connector under the coolant reservoir and it was clean as a whistle, dry, with no crusty anything.

After trying to start, the throttle body is making some pretty loud noise and buttering all over the place. I don't think I've ever seen or heard it like this before.
Brad , i think the coolant migration problem is for the coolant temp sensor at the back of the cylinder head , not the level sensor.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:43 PM
4th Gear

Nice catch. Damn that coolant flange... not a fun job at all...

But anyway. I checked it just now... it's clean too.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:30 PM
4th Gear

I've given up for the day... Does anyone have a known-good spare AEB ECU laying around they wouldn't mind letting me borrow to see if that's the problem? I really don't want to buy one and find out that's not the issue.

Also, I have an APR tune, but it's from the PO. Does anyone know if APR will re-flash a new ECU for me for free?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Tech Guru

If you were the original buyer of the chip they probably would consider it but since you're not I can't imagine they would. I've been wrong in the past, though.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
I've given up for the day... Does anyone have a known-good spare AEB ECU laying around they wouldn't mind letting me borrow to see if that's the problem? I really don't want to buy one and find out that's not the issue.

Also, I have an APR tune, but it's from the PO. Does anyone know if APR will re-flash a new ECU for me for free?
Brad i don't think a used ECM will be plug & play. There is coding involved & usually immobilizer issues that have to be dealt with when swapping. That will not be done with a code reader. Sorry if i come across frank , just trying to help!

I would get out a volt meter , check for power & grounds that supply the ECM. You might have a power supply issue I.E. a bad power feed relay. Get hold of a wiring diagram & start doing homework!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:38 AM
4th Gear

Food for though. Damnit.

I thought they were pretty much interchangeable.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 AM
4th Gear

Can anyone else weigh in on this interchangeability issue? Some searching here (and google) has led to some mixed answers. Some people say they've done it, and as long as the part numbers match, there won't be an issue. Others have said it didn't work...

I really don't want to drop a bill and find out it won't work...

Pat, I know what you're going to say. Trust me, it's on the list.

Search this Thread