B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ECU going bad?

Old 02-14-2012, 01:18 PM
4th Gear
Default ECU going bad?

So, I have a new issue plaguing my beloved Audi. The car doesn't seem to want to start all the time now. My first guess is that the fuel filter is getting clogged, or the fuel pump is going bad. Then, I realized the CEL wasn't coming on with the key in he on position, and my code reader wasn't connecting like it should. After sitting for a bit in the on position, the CEL would start to flicker, and my tachometer would start jumping erratically. I'll try to get a video of it sometime. Anyway, eventually the CEL will come on like normal, and the car starts right up without any issues at all. Oh, and the outside temp readout jumps about 15 degrees higher than the actual temp outside. Really weird stuff. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? It's done it to me twice so far today, and it's doing it again right now. I'm just waiting for the CEL to come on.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:37 PM
4th Gear

Even more awesomeness. A week or two ago, I tapped the rear end of a jeep. It looked like I had just barely nudged the spare tire. Well, in daylight, you can see that I actually tapped a support or something Becuase the hood is indeed dented a little. Just enough to not be able to pop the hood. Go figure.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:04 PM
4th Gear

Still sitting here. The CEL isn't even flickering anymore. I think she has given up the ghost.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Tech Certified

What fault codes do you have? Any faults in the instrument cluster?.
I would check the alternator for a/c voltage.

BTW , I want my star back!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Tech Guru

Well, Brad... I'm sorry to hear that. You can either part it out, sell it whole, or donate it to charity for a tax write-off. In the meantime, you can use this as an excuse to get one of these: Find Your Car: Used Audi S4 Listings Near Killeen, TX 76544 - AutoTrader.com

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1329253169807

Last edited by airguard350; 02-14-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Administrator

I'm wondering if you've had coolant creep - Ethan Bessent was telling me about it. I'll ask him to post up here with the details and you'll know what to check.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Tech Guru

try unplugging the ecu completely

had an issue where mine cel light wouldn't come on with key on, swapped ecu's car fires up, threw the other one in a few months later and it was great..... might have happenened same day if i had tried it

Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Tech Certified

What's up bromigo's! Thanks for the name calling Jeremy. Haha jk

Alright man, sounds about like what happened to my car.. A little different though.
Ok bro beans, you need to check your ECT sensor/ your coolant level sensor ( plugs on bottom of reservoir) and unplug your ECM.
Start look at the plugs for the ECT and coolant level sensor.
See if there is a crusty yellow maybe green-ish
Like dried up liquid in the connectors. Do the same with the connector to the ECM
Now if you see that yellow crusty dried up liquid in all of those places..
Then you have what we call " coolant
Migration" ( which is an insane nightmare sounding situation)
Not a bad fix if you are comfortable will wire overlays..
Anyways getting ahead of myself. I apologize.
Ok if you have that he'll crusty substance on the connector harness to the ECM you need to open up the ECM ( 4 Philip screws) in a NON DUSTY Pretty clean area. If you see the same hello substance all dried up I the ECM.. Well I hate to be the barrier of bad news...
But you WILL need an ECM... ALONG with an overlay...
The ECT sensor has 4 wires that run to it.
1-goes to ECM
2- goes to coolant level sensor
3- goes to ground
4- ( the bitch) to the instrument cluster.

Now to define " coolant migration so we can all wrap our heads around it.
It is when the ECT sensor is have been failed to be replaced for a very long extended period of time... Those the coolant start leaking upwards defying gravity pushing thru the pin connectors into the wire between the wire and the plastic wrap around it.
Then it continues leaking, the pressure from the coolant system pushing the coolant and migrates it to its new vacation destination where it comes in harold and lunar style and ***** **** up!!!

Sorry if this is confusing, doing this all from my iPhone so I am too lazy to go back and proof read this.

So brad check those things, get back with me.
I'm not one here a lot I'm always crazy busy at work. ( I had to creat a new profile because I forgot my last one)
I'll try to remember to get on. Or maybe Jeremy will tell me I'm a ****** and forgot to look back.
Also if that is your problem... I can look up pin assignments at work so the overlay will be easier

Ask any questions if I didn't get to anything you are confused about

Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 AM
4th Gear

Sounds like my weekend is spoken for... Thanks for the info, Ethan.

Pat, trust me, the thought has crossed my mind.

Jeremy, thanks for getting the right people in here.

M5S5, it's my star, you can't have it, and the code reader won't connect, so I have no codes right now.

Now, on to the second problem. How the hell do I open the hood?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Tech Certified

Brad , might be time to invest in a Vag Com set up. You can do do so much more with it than a basic code reader.
Having as many post as you have you should already know that!

Good luck & keep us updated!

Just remember we will be here to help or just kick dirt on you when you are down!

Search this Thread